LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

kenmore electric dryer 110-86186100 no heat after HIGH heat, now runs constantly

ccastelein

so as title says it was getting REAL hot for days then runs for hours with no heat...

watched your videos on youtube. removed wires for temp sensor at filament, while taking wire off of it, it split apart. I re- assembled it, dome side up to pin and pressed together slightly rotated because side crimps were not holding it together. Tested it, for continuity, and it had it. Tested filament and inspected it, after disassembly, and was fine and had continuity... puzzled, i took off plate at power cord......far right wire burnt black, and slightly oxidized (greenish blue)

so is this just a rusting cord, replace and all is good.... OR is something more sinister going on...

should i also replace high temp sensor at filament, just because i had to put it back together...

Thanks for any help in advance

ccastelein

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ccastelein

• certified tech group 51

• 16345Ed

• LouisM

any time there is damage to the power cord at the terminal block,  I replace the  terminal block/ repair kit,  P/N 279320 and a new power cord.... When you say fiiament , I guess you mean the heating element??...The  operating thermostat is located at the bottom of the heating element can..Is the the one that broke??..Just replace it, P/N279052...If the dryer does not shut off after the selected time, could be the timers motor has failed , does the timer advance??

It ran for a long time, but i think that was because it was sensing if it was dry or not... i will try and put in on a timed dry and see if it advances... i will get on those parts you specified and let you know.

thanks!

ok dove in before ordering parts and you were right the wires off the terminal were bad. Ordered parts. Thermostat 279052 ordered came as part 341222... this new thermostat has 3 prongs were as my old one only had 2 prongs...

it came with terminals without wire... what do i do? Do i just hook up the 2 wires and all will be fine OR do i somehow wire the third prong. IF so what do i do? Thanks again.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, ccastelein said:

ok dove in before ordering parts and you were right the wires off the terminal were bad. Ordered parts. Thermostat 279052 ordered came as part 341222... this new thermostat has 3 prongs were as my old one only had 2 prongs...

it came with terminals without wire... what do i do? Do i just hook up the 2 wires and all will be fine OR do i somehow wire the third prong. IF so what do i do? Thanks again.

I don’t see a third terminal on part # 341222.  Could you upload a photo of the part?  Thanks.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, ccastelein said:

Is a valid part. You seem to have gotten wrong part. 

Also burnt connections are usually loose connections. 

16 minutes ago, ccastelein said:

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-279052-Thermostat-Limit-Dryer/dp/B00L4G8MEK

also here, clearly shows part # ordered but alternate part with 3 prongs shown.

this part will required to re-work my existing connections because they are both female and this different part is 1 male and 1 female with middle male ground...why do this?

well, i snipped the end and switched the connection from female to male and installed with no middle wire...

seems to work fine, high limit shuts off.