Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
technical_1

Frigidaire Model # FRT18INLHW1

10 posts in this topic

I want to start by saying that I have read and searched this site for this problem and according to the other posts related, I believe that the fill valve may be defective, but I just wanted to verify with my exact model fridge and ice maker. 

Frigidaire model #  is  FRT18INLHW1 and ice maker installed at factory is model A-38. 

A couple times over the last year I have found the water flowing into the ice maker without stopping.  It flooded the floor and leaked into the basement in about 15 minutes the first time.  The second time I caught it since I was in the kitchen.  It is running out of the compartment where the ice is made.  It will fill the ice buket with water then it runs out of it too.  It is not leaking out the back or anything.  When it does this I raise the bar on the maker and cut off the water supply for about 6 hours.  After that it seems to work correctly again for a while but I dont trust it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, props to the United Samurai Beer fund.  I have a beer in one hand and wrench in the other.  Thanks for the help and for the great site.

Scott

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You either have a fill valve stucking  open or the ice maker is stuck in the fill mode.  When this happens unplug the frig.  If that stops the water it sounds like it might be the ice maker.  If the water keeps running then you know to turn the water off to the frig and replace the fill valve. 

Thanks Pegi.  I'll give that a shot.  Much obliged.

Scott

Not to be a bother but I forgot to ask.  The fill valve is on the outside of the fridge at the bottom back?  It is independent of the actual icemaker inside the fridge right?  I don't mean to show my ignorance but I'm a TV  repairman by trade.  Thanks again.

Scott

Yes, usually it is on the back at the bottom of the frig.  Not to worry, I would just have to stare at a broken TV without knowing a thing about repairing it.  We all have our areas of knowledge.

dual_valve_wp.jpg?dc=4675399380896564730

The valve on your fridge will be similar.

Thanks to you both for all the help.  It's much appreciated.

Scott

;)

OK.  It happened again tonight.  I unplugged the power and it stopped pumping water.  I plug it back up and it starts again.  After a couple "whaps" on the side of the maker itself it stopped after about 10 secs.  I guess I need a new maker.  I will most certainly order from the links here.  Thanks again for all the help.  Here's a toast to all who did.

:cheers:

Scott

:tinkerbell:;)