LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

LG Refrigerator LFX25974SW /00 mullion troubles

KiloMike1
Go to solution Solved by MrApplianceMatt,

The spring that operates the mullion on the French door refrigerator broke. I ordered a new spring, but the one that the parts diagram called out was wound the opposite way from the original. So, I decided at the advice of my local appliance parts dealer, to order a new mullion. This was not a bad thing as the little plastic retainer was broke and the harness to the mullion warming (anti-condensation) was completely severed. The replacement mullion went on simply, but the new one has a different latch on top. The original was solid and engaged the door holder when the door closed, causing the mullion to open and cover the gap in the doors. The new one is spring loaded and does not engage the door holder so the mullion stays tucked to the door. I am guessing that the mullion was redesigned and there is a different door holder to go with the new mullion, but my local appliance parts store only has the same door holder as the original. Any ideas?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KiloMike1

• MrApplianceMatt

• Vance R

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

You may need to adjust the door height or shim the catch at the top of the cabinet to allow for the mullion to close properly. The spring loaded design prevents damage to the catch and the mullion if the door is closed with the flap in the open position.

Looks like originally there were 2 different mullions but they both sub to  agu74110902. The new style probably has the retractable tip to prevent breakage.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:12 PM, MrApplianceMatt said:

You may need to adjust the door height or shim the catch at the top of the cabinet to allow for the mullion to close properly. The spring loaded design prevents damage to the catch and the mullion if the door is closed with the flap in the open position.

Thank you Matt. I adjusted the door and the mullion is operating correctly now. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.