Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Scale Blaster - Success or Snake Oil?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThePadre

ThePadre

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

In trying to resolve my bigtime hard water problem (16 gpg or so), which results in poor cleaning in my dishwasher, I called out my plumber to discuss plumbing options for a traditional water softener.

He looked it over and said I was a prime candidate for a Scale Blaster SB-150. It's an electrical device that pulses current through wires wrapped around the pipe.

Plumber assured me that he, too, was a skeptic, but, after seeing the significant reduction in scale build up in a family's electric water heater (from 5 inches of accumulated scale to a couple of inches of goopy mess after 90 days), he's a believer.

Will such a device get my effective water hardness down and make my dishwasher work again?

What say you, masters?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

$ 800   :spaz:

you can buy a lot of smoke & mirrors for $ 800

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 ThePadre

ThePadre

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Indeed, RegUS_PatOff.

However, none of my options is particularly cheap.
  • Dishwasher with a built-in softener: $1400-$1600; couple hundred bucks if I gamble on used and spend several hours getting it and installing it.
  • Traditional water softener: $600 - $1000, plus plumbing modifications (including a drain for the backwash).
  • The Scale Blaster Gizmo: $900 (they install it, check it again in 90 days).
Ugh.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

1) proven, guaranteed to work

2) proven, guaranteed to work

3) know anybody that has one, or has heard of it, or or any other manufacturers ?

http://www.watertechonline.com/detail.asp?Parent_ID=136150

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 ThePadre

ThePadre

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

I agree with you. I'm only considering it because my (reputable) plumber is advising it as the most cost-effective course of action. I didn't ask whether it came with a satisfaction guarantee. Perhaps I should.

#6 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

.   A client of mine had picked up a ScaleWatcher
http://www.scalewatcher.com/
and had me install it for her.

.   I was back on a unrelated matter and asked her how it worked.  She told me she used to have to remove her showerhead every month or two and soak it in vinegar to get it working again.  Now it has been well over a year and she hasn't had to clean it at all.

.   I have another client that runs out of hot water because her boiler gets such deposits the heat doesn't penetrate the tube well.  She has the boiler technician come and clean it regularly.  I've been pushing her to try it, because it would be another definitive case.

.   The installation instructions are very detailed about how the wire must be wrapped how far it must be from intersections etc.  If it is as important as they say, then I gather a lot of people install them wrong and then think they don't work well.

. Bottom line: hers works great, was installed correctly, and cost about $500.  There is a smaller version for $180.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics