Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

not a problem , just a question central ac

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wasp

wasp

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

i have a ruud system, its both gas heat and central air, im pretty handy so i can work on most things, a little while ago the blower fan started making noise, turned out the motor bearings were shot, i pulled it , found one online and was even able to talk to a tech that makes the motors, so it was a pretty simple swap........

i should add that the ja that installed it used no sealant on the duct flanges or bothered to wrap the duct with insulation blanket, needless to say i had water leaking out of the duct at the last 90 into the furnace..................so i had to do that as well, other than that and the sub base being shot on the thermostat (unit wouldnt cycle) when i bought the house 4 years ago, thats really all thats been done..................oh yeah, i had to have one of the hvac guys at work make me up some return duct since the intake on the unit was drawing in basement air (i wish i knew who installed it, like to say a few things to them, lol)

i know one day something is going to break down and my dogs are going to be trapped in a hot house until someone gets home.....................is there any kind of preventive inspection i can do to forsee something needs to be replaced b4 that day comes , or is it inevitable

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"- unknown

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Rrey199

Rrey199

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

:dude: The gas furnace is pretty self-sufficient. Just keep it clean. With the a/c, keep the filter fresh and the condenser and evap coils clean. Also blow out the condensate line and trap each season to keep it from backing up.

If the furnace is a high efficiency model (90+%) make sure the filter is fresh for the winter as well, and that model will also have a condensate trap. Make sure to clean it out every season too.

"ADD means never being bored"
"The answer is that.......wait...what was the question again?"

#3 wasp

wasp

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

i do all that, but im not so sure what filter you are referring to when you speak of the furnace 90% +......................i change the intake filter every 3 months, and hose out condensor and coil every spring, i also cover it for winter

#4 Rrey199

Rrey199

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:52 AM

:dude: A 90% furnace is vented in PVC (Plastic) pipe rather than metal smoke pipe into a chimney. The filter is the same as for your a/c , but more critical to keep clean with a 90% because it has a secondary heat exchanger that is restrictive and will begin to get the dirt before the A/C coil will. It sounds as if your alot more diligent than most of my customers. You should be fine.

#5 wasp

wasp

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

oh , mine is metal flue........................and am i correct in that as long as i dont see bubbles in the sight glass my coolant  level is fine?

#6 Rrey199

Rrey199

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

:dude: Sight glasses aren't exact, but if you don't see bubbles, it's either empty or ok. If it's cooling, it's not empty.

On a warm, humid day, you should have:

Cool air from the registers

A cool, sweaty suction line (The bigger one that's insulated)

Water from the condensate drain from the indoor coil.

Hot air blowing out of the condenser outside.

If you have all of these, then you're probably in good shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics