Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Ge Side by Side Refrigerator, Mod#GSS25WGDBB

SteveM

I have been looking at a GE side by side, model #GSS25WGDBB, with correct cooling in the freezer (approximately 0 degrees) but no cooling on the food side. A prior technician had replaced the evaporator fan, defrost heater, and the main control board (the week before I looked at it).

It appears to me that the damper door, or whatever is controlling it, is malfunctioning. I base this on I manually opened the door and visually saw and heard the door closing while the evap fan was running and the the food door door/light switch was depressed.

I have run the following tests:

a. Checked resistance at the damper and had approximately 420 ohms between the red-yellow and white-blue wires. Which should indicate that the damper motor is OK.

b. Approximately 6VDC between the J3-1, J3-2, J3-3, and J3-4 pins on the control board. Which should indicate the electrical signals to the board are OK.

c. The following diagnostic tests were run:

1. 0-2 (Temp Control to Main Board): PASSED

2. 0-3 (Communication btwn Dispenser Control and Temp Control): FAILED

3. 0-4 (Communication btwn Dispenser Control and Main Board): FAILED

4. 0-5 (encoder Test): OK

5. 0-7 Thermistor Tests:

Diagnostics indicated that the freezer (bottom left, below the evap coil) thermistor failed.

6. 1-0 Damper Test: OK

I did not run the tests for the 100%run time, prechill, or defrost. I did run 1-5 (Main Control Reset) to reset the system before exiting diagnostics.

d. I also removed the light bulb in the food section for 1 day to see if the temp would return to normal - It did not.

Based on the above I replaced the freezer thermistor, and although it tested OK, I replaced the damper door (door/motor/thermistor) because I think the diagnostic test only tests the mechanical function of the door, not the actual interaxtion between the damper and the board. Please let me know if my assumption is wrong.

The new damper worked fine for 1 day, and now is not opening. I am now thinking the main control board, already replaced by the previous tech, is bad BUT the J3 pin tests would seem to indicate it is OK. So, after my long introduction, here are my questions:

1.  Would any of the diagnostic tests not run affect the operation of the damper. I don't think they should?

2.  Is there a test on the diagnostic board which would definitively tell me the main control is bad or do I need to make the jump that the diagnostics test the individual components and if they test OK then the board is bad?

3.  Is there any other tests I should perform or should I replace the main control board?

4. What are diagnostic tests 0-3 and 0-4 (Communication btwn Dispenser Control and the Temp and Main Board Controls) for?

Lots of stuff - sorry. Any responses will be much appreciated

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived