Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kenmore 417.48102701 Washer won't start/fill/spin - error codes?

washernoworkyy
Go to solution Solved by Budget Appliance Repair,

washernoworkyy

Hi all,

Been living in a place with a very old washer, a Kenmore 417.48102701, for a bit now and it has had a couple issues I could live with: the gasket was nasty so I replaced it with a new one and it's super loud on the spin cycle, so I just didn't run it past 9 PM since I share walls with neighbors.  However, more recently, it simply stopped working altogether during a load; I thought it was done so I took my clothes out but they were still soaking wet and the tub had a lot of water in it still.  I drained the water manually by scooping with a cup and absorbing with a mop.  I can turn it on but the light above the start button just flashes repeatedly and when I try to start any cycle, the door lock clicks and some other clicks happen and then most of the time, nothing at all happens after that and the cycle switches to "No Spin" and the washer simply does nothing.  Very very rarely if I try it many times it will begin to fill with water for literally half a second and then it will stop and switch to "No Spin" and do nothing.

I've done some googling to try to diagnose it and it seems the machine can generate error codes even though there's no digital display.  By pressing and holding the start and pause buttons for a few seconds to do a diagnostic, the status lights blink 2 times and the start light blinks 3 times.  From what I understand, this means the error code is 23, but I don't have the technical data sheet for the washer and cannot find it anywhere on the internet, so I don't know what this error means or what parts it relates to.

Anyone know if I've read the error code correctly and know what the code means?  Or does anyone otherwise have any diagnoses for my washer?

I have not much money invested in this machine and it's old and was loud anyway when it worked so I'm not opposed to it just being time to get a new washer, but if it's like a $25 part or something I'd probably go for that for now...

Thank you very much for anyone's help!  (if anyone wants me to upload a video of my error lights, let me know)

if you really have error 23 it says

Drain pump relay on control board failed.

Have the landlord hire a tech to verify...

washernoworkyy
1 hour ago, dfphoto said:

if you really have error 23 it says

Drain pump relay on control board failed.

Have the landlord hire a tech to verify...

Thank you!  Does this mean the drain pump relay can be replaced or do you have to replace the whole control board?

This property belongs to my dad so it's not a landlord thing but I can't really rely on him to fix anything so I have to take this matter into my own hands.

• Solution
9 hours ago, washernoworkyy said:

Does this mean the drain pump relay can be replaced or do you have to replace the whole control board?

If you have a bad pump relay, that would be a component on the main board.  Would have to replace the complete board or check the solder connections to the relay on the board and re-solder if bad/burnt solder joints to the relay or de-solder and source a new relay from an electrical part supply company and replace the relay if the relay points or coil is bad.

• Thanks 1

If Willie says to that, I would!!!! good luck..

washernoworkyy
On 3/28/2024 at 6:49 AM, Budget Appliance Repair said:

If you have a bad pump relay, that would be a component on the main board.  Would have to replace the complete board or check the solder connections to the relay on the board and re-solder if bad/burnt solder joints to the relay or de-solder and source a new relay from an electrical part supply company and replace the relay if the relay points or coil is bad.

23 hours ago, dfphoto said:

If Willie says to that, I would!!!! good luck..

Thank you both!  The control board will cost over half of what a whole brand new washer will cost so it sounds like this one is going out to pasture.  Appreciate your help, I have marked the post as the solution here.

electronic shops usually would do  something like this or  ebay