Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 14 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 14 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG Gas Dryer - Model DLG3501W - Display comes up, but hitting start doesn't start drum tumbling. Internal click heard.

dgp

I bought the dryer new at Best Buy in 2019.  I have Total Support, but they told me that expired in 2022.  This is frustrating because I know it must only need a $20-$50 part.

I opened the dryer to make sure it wasn't a problem with lint internally.  The drum spins freely when I turn the fan blade.  I did find a ball of lint right after the fan but before the pipe out the back.  When I turn on the dryer, I see no errors, but the clean filter LED blinks on for about a second and then goes out.  

The dryer was working fine until it didn't.  We did have remodeling in the house.  The vent now travels a longer path to the outside and the contractor for some reason used a plastic loose mesh cover instead of the flap to keep birds and rodents out.  The mesh was completely covered in lint.  I took it off.  The dryer has been in this new setup for only about a month.

After clearing both lint problems and vacuuming out the dryer, I reassembled it and held down the start button while the machine was unplugged -- online I read that this would reset the dryer.  Still, the display comes up just fine, briefly flashed a clean filter LED, then appears ready.  Hitting the start button still does nothing.

I read on this site that the blower fuse is one of the more common problems.  Do these dryers not throw error codes at all?  

So frustrating.  I'm about the just buy a new dryer and get a Home Repair warrantee.  UGH!!!  I can do simple things like check for voltage across a circuit.  I have replaced a dryer motor successfully.

Any Insights,

Don

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dfphoto

• dgp

Top Posters In This Topic

you're going to need to do real diagnostics... your motor likely has an issue. If you're handy take it apart test the motor and go from there.

The Best Buy tech came out to look at the dryer.  He showed me the part that failed.  I thought he called it the thermal fuse, but it isn't either of the two devices attached to the gas blower housing.  It was a white square unit on the bottom front center behind the lint filter.  Looking online I can't seem to find this part, so I think I'll need to disassemble the dryer again and find a part number.  He said this blows when the unit has an airflow issue instead of overheating the unit.

When I search for thermal fuse online, I see the attachments to the blower housing and not the part I need.  

Don