Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 14 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 14 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool LEQ9030PQ0 Dryer No Heat

Retired Nashua Fire
Go to solution Solved by citizenX,

Retired Nashua Fire

My mom's Wirlpool LEQ9030PQ0 dryer has no heat. It had been running fine and only sees light use. Power comes from a 2 pole PushMatic breaker. One of the poles had a drop in voltage and I beleive this may have contributed to the no heat problem. I changed out the breakers, now I have 110 to both sides, 220 tandem. Still no heat. I changed out:

• 279838 heating element
  • wp3387134 dryer thermostat
  • wp3392519 ap6008325 thermal fuse
  • 3977393 dryer thermostat
  • 3977767 thermostat fuse kit.

Still no heat. I checked and load from the temperature control at the timeer and it dropped with each change in temp. I am thinking it may be the timer control, but I am intereested to learn if I missed something?? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• citizenX

• Retired Nashua Fire

• Solution

I am assuming you have a volt meter since you listed specific voltages? There are several possibilities but start with the basics and check for 240V at the power cord connection where it connects to the dryer power terminals and make sure the screws are tight. There should be 240v across both hot legs and 120v from each hot leg to neutral/ground.  (It is possible to only have 120v to the dryer and the motor will still run, but no heat). If no 240v or you don't have  120v from each hot leg to ground, then work backwards from the power cord, to the connections in the receptacle, to the wiring itself to the box. If you have 240 to the dryer then check the voltage to both sides of the heating element (with dryer running), should be 240v to have heat. If you don't have 240v to the element and you've replaced all those other parts and the wiring is all correct, then it could be a bad timer, bad temp control switch, a bad wiring connection somewhere, or possibly a bad centrifugal switch on the motor. FYI, one half of the power to the heating element (120v) goes through the timer/controls/thermostats circuits to one side of the element and the other half goes through a contact on the motor centrifugal switch that closes when the motor starts spinning so make sure the centrifugal switch isn't jammed up with lint. This switch is inside the motor attached to the motor shaft but is accessible, it's where all the wires plug onto the motor. There is a round spring loaded disc that goes around the motor shaft so make sure this mechanism is freely moving in and out.  This is where knowing how to read a wiring diagram and using an ohm meter will greatly benefit you over playing parts changer, but I get it. At this point, assuming the parts you changed are all good (ohm meter is your friend) you'll just have to do more troubleshooting and tracing circuits to narrow it down. 

• 2 weeks later...
Retired Nashua Fire

CitizenX,

Thanks for your detailed response. I wound up going back to main panel and found I had 120v on each of the two legs. I noticed the wires had different insulation looked a bit thicker and almost had a pattern in it. At the outlet for the dryer the insulation was smooth. Not being an electrician but having common sense I figured there had to be a sub panel somewhere. After a bit of searching, I found a subpanel with Buss cartridge fuses. testing the discharge side of  the fuses, I found one was at 87v. Replacing the fuse solved the problem. The dryer is working as it should. Thank you!

13 hours ago, Retired Nashua Fire said:

CitizenX,

Thanks for your detailed response. I wound up going back to main panel and found I had 120v on each of the two legs. I noticed the wires had different insulation looked a bit thicker and almost had a pattern in it. At the outlet for the dryer the insulation was smooth. Not being an electrician but having common sense I figured there had to be a sub panel somewhere. After a bit of searching, I found a subpanel with Buss cartridge fuses. testing the discharge side of  the fuses, I found one was at 87v. Replacing the fuse solved the problem. The dryer is working as it should. Thank you!

Excellent. Glad you figured it out!