Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 14 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 14 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Relay for Sears mini fridge 564.760600...will newer-style generic universal ones work?

ncbill

Old enough that the relay has 3 pins that slide into the compressor housing with the connection to the disc-shaped overload coming off the relay body itself.

But looks like the newer 2-pin generic replacement relays sold for mini fridges with the separate 1-pin overload (slides into the top pin) would fit just fine.

IIRC, the Sears OEM relay replacement is 4232C27300...listed as no longer available.

I did check between the top pin and individual bottom pins...low resistance, so the (Sanyo) compressor should still be good?

A challenge for you pros...I'm just swapping parts. :)

Can't find anything about about that particular refrigerator, but whenever I've tried, the start relays and overloads have been pretty compatible. If it fits and looks like the old one, it's always worked for me.

This looks like  really small unit. The biggest risk I see is that the overload wouldn't work as expected, so if the unit short cycles, you could burn up the compressor windings.

I wouldn't do it if it's R600a since if they poke a hole in the evaporator and it sucks up air, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine an explosion.

Edited by Terry Carmen
  • Like 1

R12.

Relay type has an exposed wiring for the electromagnet on the bottom of the relay assembly.

Seems much more robust than current generic replacements.

Closest I've found online resembling the relay are 2-pin relays sold in 3rd world countries, so this design must be really old.

Spade connectors are different enough that I didn't want to try & install the new parts.

So I just cleaned up all the dust, whacked the relay body a couple of times, and reinstalled.

Seems to be cooling now, so tomorrow I'll just check the fridge thermometer I put inside.

Thanks for the reply!