Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 14 September 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, September 14 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Danby DDR050BJPWDB dehumidifier drain pump

marcva
Go to solution Solved by marcva,

We have a Danby home dehumidifier that is in an extended warranty period with our credit card company. The drain pump is making a lot of noise and not draining the pan. The Credit card company will only honor our warranty request if we get an estimate from a licensed technician, but nobody wants to come out to service a measly dehumidifier. How can I get an estimate. Do any techs on this board to virtual assessment for something at this level via a video chat? I'm fairly handy and can do any disassembly required to facilitate.

The adhumidifier was $169. With tax it was $185.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• citizenX

• marcva

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's the thing with dehums....they're pretty much disposable these days and just not worth the time for anyone to deal with. By the time you pay for trip/labor and parts you're usually at or well more than the thing costs to begin with anyway. If you're handy, I'd just get the drain pump and replace it yourself. Some things just aren't worth the hassle of dealing with insurance over if you have to pay for an estimate anyway and it's only a $30 part (just guessing). I'd call Danby and find out how much the part is (and get a part number) and go from there. 

Edited by citizenX

• Solution

So...called Danby and got no love. I couldn't even find a replacement pump if I wanted to tear into the unit.

Called Costo, and they offered to give us a full refund for the dehum. We'll be returning and replacing. The next unit will be installed on a raised platform with a gravity drain going out through the wall that I will build. I'll eliminate the extra degree of freedom going forward. The unit lives in a 4 bay garage in SC where we store things (No basements in the low country) so I like to keep the humidity down in the summer.

Thanks for the input CitizenX. 

Geeze....like I said, disposable. Those things are all so cheap these days, and brand doesn't matter. That's great costco will refund it for you.