Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Maytag W10330943A top loader fails to fill completely. Opening and closing the lid adds water - usuallly need to do it twice to get full.

FixingMissDaisysStuff

FixingMissDaisysStuff

My MIL has an inherited Maytag W10330943A top load "commercial" machine.  When starting a wash cycle (any cycle) the tub will fill partially and then it starts the wash cycle.  If we open the lid and close it, it will begin filling again.  We usually need to repeat this twice to get a complete fill.

That model number is taken from the user manual.   I have not found a data plate on the washer.  I have not taken it apart to see if there is a data plate inside.

If I search that model number on a search engine, I can find the user manual on a number of sites.   But searching many different parts suppliers I find nobody recognizes it, not even the Maytag site.

Just under it, there is another model number (apparently):  W10331730A-SP  Searching for that number on the Maytag site gets me the user manual in Spanish, so perhaps that's a part number for machines headed south of the border.

I suspect it's not more complicated than a water level sensor going bad, or perhaps clogged.  This appears to have been purchased new in 2002.  It's an old-school mechanical machine - no logic board to worry about.  Timers, switches, and relays.

If I can match a part number that is still available, I think we'll be back in business.

Thank you for any suggestions.

20240225_washing_machine_1_s.jpg

FixingMissDaisysStuff

Found it!  A square paper label that was all the way down at the bottom of the rear panel, hidden by the drain hose.

The correct model number is MVWC5ESXW0.

maybe you are not understanding the level of water this machine uses per a load?

• 2 weeks later...

FixingMissDaisysStuff,

This model has automatic water level sensing.  It fills enough to saturate the clothes, agitates to ensure they're saturated, then calculates how much more water to add.  Opening the lid during the sensing process (and maybe after) triggers it to fill to maximum level, on the assumption that more clothes may have been added and it has no way to know how much more and can't redo the sensing process.

There is electronic circuitry involved, integrated into the water temperature switch along with a flow meter that measures the volume of water required to reach the load saturation level, which info the electronics uses to calculate the rest of the fill level.

W10331730A is the document number of the user manual, not the model number.

There may be a model/serial tag visible at the back of the loading port under the lower edge of the lid ... best viewed by partially opening the lid and bending down to look there.

I believe X in eighth position of the model number indicates 2010 model-year, in which case it couldn't have been purchased in 2002 (and automatic water level sensing for the direct-drive mechanical platform hadn't reached the market in 2002).

The serial number is coded for the year and week of factory production, which is a bit more accurate for age than model number year-of-introduction, being that a given model may be produced for more than one year.

Edited by DADoESTX
  • Like 1

Also, that machine is 100% Whirlpool-built/design.  It couldn't have existed in 2002.  Whirlpool bought Maytag in 2006.  Anything labeled Maytag "Centennial" is after that date.