Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool WTW4816FW2 won't agitate but will spin.

Weeks22
Go to solution Solved by citizenX,

Hi all,

As stated above my whirlpool washer has stopped agitating but will fill and spin out.  We have changed the dogs, checked all the splines in the agitator and transmission.  The only code  I see is F7E6 motor fault, but I don't know how long that has been there as this was the first time I have checked the codes.  In Manual test mode it wants to agitate and the drum rotates but the agitator doesn't move.  We checked the drive block and it appears ok.   Attached is a video in test mode.  Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• citizenX

• Weeks22

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Solution

Not sure but possibly something in the plastic drive gears (splutch kit) underneath isn't meshing properly and/or the shift actuator isn't moving all the way to fully engage the splutch? You can remove the actuator (two screws) and manually turn the plastic lever it goes into to engage/disengage the spin and agitate modes and then turn the drive pulley by hand to see if it will fully engage the agitator. Make sure the nut on the very bottom that holds the drive pulley in place is tight as well. If all that is tight and working then could be in the gearbox itself. 

900 (1).jpg

Thanks for the help.  The actuator was next on the list to check and then the transmission box itself.

Actuators and the Splutch kit are pretty common points of failure on these units. The gearbox is pretty simple and doesn't fail nearly as often but I'd check the actuator for full movement and the splutch gears first.