Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

JennAir gas oven

abyars

JennAir gas range/oven model number W10217571

The lower burner lights quickly but only burns for a minute or so then goes out.  The temp creeps up some then stops and it relights.  Seems somewhat normal but it won't hold 350 degrees.  Periodically we walk by press the temp setting button and then OK and it will relight and get to temp.  If I try to heat oven up to 500 degrees it never goes past 406 degrees.  It will sit at 406 and never relight.  Recently we baked several things and it re-lite often and each time I noticed a propane smell like it does when it first lights from cold.  This is new.  Normally we get a faint propane smell on first light and that's it. 

The broil function seems to be working fine.  It will lite quickly and stay lit.

A few years ago it would never reach temp setting even thought the digital display said it was at temp.  Apparently there was a problem with Whirlpool & JennAir electronics and under warranty the place we bought it from replaced the controller and a couple other electronic parts.

I removed the cover over the lower burner and the ignitor electrode looks great and produces a good spark which instantly ignites the propane.

Any idea why the lower burner cycles on and off so often? 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abyars

• Nathaniel Peterson

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/19/2024 at 10:36 PM, abyars said:

JennAir gas range/oven model number W10217571

The lower burner lights quickly but only burns for a minute or so then goes out.  The temp creeps up some then stops and it relights.  Seems somewhat normal but it won't hold 350 degrees.  Periodically we walk by press the temp setting button and then OK and it will relight and get to temp.  If I try to heat oven up to 500 degrees it never goes past 406 degrees.  It will sit at 406 and never relight.  Recently we baked several things and it re-lite often and each time I noticed a propane smell like it does when it first lights from cold.  This is new.  Normally we get a faint propane smell on first light and that's it. 

The broil function seems to be working fine.  It will lite quickly and stay lit.

A few years ago it would never reach temp setting even thought the digital display said it was at temp.  Apparently there was a problem with Whirlpool & JennAir electronics and under warranty the place we bought it from replaced the controller and a couple other electronic parts.

I removed the cover over the lower burner and the ignitor electrode looks great and produces a good spark which instantly ignites the propane.

Any idea why the lower burner cycles on and off so often? 

Probably need to replace the dsi board. Check the resistance to the oven sensor and it should read 1.095 k ohms roughly at room temperature 77 degrees or so.