Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Whirlpool WGD9200SQ1 not drying properly

gjblajian
Go to solution Solved by citizenX,

gjblajian

We had a board failure a few months ago, the dryer would not even power on. We replaced the board and the dryer powered on and would run but the clothes would not dry until the cycle had been run 3 to 4 times. Thinking this might be a ventilation issue we THOROUGHLY cleaned the ducts and the blower fan. I can feel a strong air movement outside now so I know the fan is working properly but the air is barely warm. Thinking that I may have gotten a bad board I purchased another one, this time with a new thermistor. While it does seem slightly better the temperature of the clothes is still lukewarm at best, the air coming out of the exhaust is still not very warm or humid and it is still taking at least 2 cycles to dry the clothes. I tested the board with the panel off and can see the gas ignite and stay lit on the initial start up (which in my mind indicates the gas solenoid is working properly). I know the moisture sensor is working because the cycle extends for many many minutes BUT at some point it just gives up and I have to start it again. At this point I am at a loss. What else could be causing this behavior? Before the initial failure the clothes dried in a single cycle and when we opened the door the clothes were nice and warm. Please help.
Whirlpool WGD9200SQ1.

• Solution

Just to 100% eliminate the venting as an issue, try running a load with the vent unhooked from the dryer and see if it dries. If it still takes too long to dry with the vent unhooked, then observe the ignitor and flame. If the ignitor and flame are cycling on and off right away with a wet load or the flame won't come back after several minutes, then I'd suspect the gas valve solenoid coils are bad. Classic symptom of bad coils is you will have heat/flame initially then it will drop out and not come back on. It's a common problem and a cheap fix.  279834 is the part number for the valve coils. 

• Like 1

gjblajian

citizenX, I have ordered a new set of solenoids and a high temp thermostat, hope to have them in the next few days. I will let you know if that resolves the issue. Thank you.

gjblajian

Funny thing is, another tech I spoke to said to just replace the dryer, and I am thinking, "why would I do that?" There are not that many components and I already replaced THE most expensive one twice and it is unlikely that the first replacement was even bad. Replacing a couple of components is way easier and cheaper than replacing the entire unit. New, this style of dryer goes for around $800 OR MORE. I will replace every component on this unit before I buy a new one. :D

5 hours ago, gjblajian said:

Funny thing is, another tech I spoke to said to just replace the dryer....

Yeah some folks are quick to condemn an older appliance but there are plenty of times it's just a simple and cheap fix. I'm old school (and old) so I'll keep an appliance (or vehicle) until the wheels fall off if I can. Much of this newer crap (vehicles too) is just that, crap, so if the old stuff is working for you there's no sin in spending a few bucks to keep it going. Let me know how it goes. 

I got the high temp sensor and the solenoids (blue star from amazon). The new solenoids were super tight compared to the ones I was replacing, even though they said they were compatible, and they worked one time then did not work again and when I went to check on them they were SUPER hot. I am returning them for a different brand. Supposed to get them today and will know by tonight if that fixes the issue. pretty sure this is the problem, since even the old ones work the first time but then do not work again. I see the glow of the ignitor frequently but the solenoid are not activating after the first time. There is what looks like some kind of blue transistor/diode/capacitor (there are no discernible markings on it) attached to the lines going to the solenoids, etc. It is hard to see how they would work when you first start it but then not work after if that was the issue. Since the control board is new, I don't see how that could be the issue either.

20241014_090006.jpg

Let me ask you, what does the flame look like when it initially comes on? Is it shooting a nice tight blueish cone down the burner tube or is it floating and backing up to the end of the burner tube? If it is backing up, then it could be tripping the high limit thermostat mounted on the burner tube. I know you said you cleaned the venting but just need to check. 

If the flame is not backing up and the new coils don't fix it, then there are two other main possibilities: Either the gas valve itself is bad (expensive) or the flame sensor has a problem (cheap). The flame sensor is mounted on the left front side of the burner tube and if it is intermittent, it can act this way. Usually it's the coils but I did have one last week where the flame sensor would cut in and out intermittently. I just assumed it was the coils because that's way more common than the flame sensor. If you have an ohm meter, the flame sensor contacts are normally closed and will open when it senses a flame is present. If it doesn't reset to normally closed after the flame goes out the first time, then that could also cause this behavior. 

Also note that there is a metal sleeve on the larger of the two coil shafts. Make sure that sleeve doesn't come off with the coil and you don't see it. It needs to be on the shaft of the larger coil. 

The flame looked good, I ordered the flame sensor just in case. Hard to see how the valve would be bad if it comes on the first time. I get the new solenoids tonight and the new flame sensor tomorrow. Since the blue star solenoids did not fix the issue, it is possible the flame sensor is bad. So if the symptoms remain the same tonight I will replace the flame sensor tomorrow too. Thank you. Will let you know if that works.

The solenoids were indeed the problem. The gas comes on and ignites every time the igniter is glowing now. The "blue star" solenoids, even though they were the right part number, were too tight and overheated on the first use. The "dr quality parts" solenoids (see image below) worked flawlessly. Beautiful steady flame and when the cycle finishes our laundry is warm and cozy. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! 
:woohoo::rocker::banana:

image.thumb.jpeg.d1e39ad46c76271e10f09557a5630a18.jpeg