Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE GTD42EASJ2WW failure help! 🥺

Wildfire Phoenix

Wildfire Phoenix

I have a GE GTD42EASJ2WW that I've been trying to repair since it completely quit mid load about a week and a half ago...

Damage so far has been the heating element, the hi limit thermal sensor on the right and the 4,500 ohm resistor (resistor broke from repeated disassembly) and a busted push button for the start switch (which I had not even realized was a problem to begin with 😱😱)

I have replaced the heating element, hi likit thermal sensor, currently waiting on arrival of the new 4,500 ohm resistor. Also replaced the start button and it's switch just for measures

Before the resistor broke, I tried starting up my dryer, but the drum light and door switch appeared to be the only things working on it.   🥺🥺

I've checked the dash knobs with my multi meter and all the dash knobs show signs of life and being ready to run.

Now my question is what the hell else on my dryer blew out, when it's heating element and hi limit thermal sensor grenaded on that last load?

I've already done a sweep on the exhaust end and there's no blockages there's at all.  I have already checked the door switch and that's not an issue.   Start button for the start switch is not the issue cause that was also replaced.

What parts could I have possibly missed which are the problematic end where replacing is needed?

Any help is needed ASAP please and thank you!

If I can not fix this ge dryer very soon it's getting junked & it's gonna cost me a minimum of $450 to get a new dryer which is what I'm really trying to avoid doing (especially after all the auto repairs I've had to make in the last few months when the hell did car parts get so dam expensive ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️)

Wildfire Phoenix

Just wanting to inform those who may ask, my GE dryer only has knobs on it's control cluster because it's just a basic dryer, not some super fancy Samsung or LG dryer.

13 hours ago, Wildfire Phoenix said:

when the hell did car parts get so dam expensive

If you're a DIY on your auto repairs and want a good place to order parts you might want to check out https://www.rockauto.com/

They have excellent selects and great prices if you're ordering parts online and can wait for them.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair
  • Like 2

Your dryer timer knob may be cracked on the inside. So you think you're turning it to the desired cycle, but the timer doesn't turn because the knob is spinning on the shaft. So it's still in the off position, while the knob points to a cycle. Pull the knob straight out (don't wiggle it) and look inside where the hole is that goes on the timer shaft. Look for a crack. Get a new knob.

Edited by igloo
  • Like 1

Wildfire Phoenix
On 10/18/2024 at 1:42 PM, igloo said:

Your dryer timer knob may be cracked on the inside. So you think you're turning it to the desired cycle, but the timer doesn't turn because the knob is spinning on the shaft. So it's still in the off position, while the knob points to a cycle. Pull the knob straight out (don't wiggle it) and look inside where the hole is that goes on the timer shaft. Look for a crack. Get a new knob.

Unfortunately that was not the issue as the knob was not cracked.  Thank you for your suggestion though.

Wildfire Phoenix

All suggestions past this point in regards to my GE dryer are appreciated but not needed anymore because...

UNFORTUNATELY it shot smoke earlier today making any further repairs impossible since I assume EVERYTHING electrical component wise except the heating element are now fried 🙊🙊🙊

Still never got to find what the issue was and yes I'm still a tad on edge from the dam thing smoking up 😅😅😅😅😅

Sometimes it's better to call the repairman. I'm glad you didn't get zapped. 

Wildfire Phoenix
Just now, igloo said:

Sometimes it's better to call the repairman. I'm glad you didn't get zapped. 

I had the breaker switch to the dryer switched off.

Immediately after I flipped the breaker switch labeled dryer on, the dryer sounded like it arc blasted itself and immediately smoked up... ☠️☠️

Luckily no dryer fire happened 😅😅😅

Wildfire Phoenix

At this pont it's just easier to replace it entirely, cause it could just smoke up or even fireball after repairs 😅😅   So for safety concerns I'm just gonna junk its electrical parts.

The metal bits I'll find something to use those for.