Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Stove Model JGBP336EL3WG

paparentman

This is a self igniting stove and oven. There appears to be some kind of glow plug that is not glowing. First thing to check? Just for continuity, or is there a resistance specification?

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=11934]hvacdrd[/user] wrote:

How about JGBP33GEL3, we will cut you a little slack only once for not following the rules. Here is the ignitor for that unit.

Thank you for the reply. I have read the rules. I was laying on the floor, using a flashlight and wearing one pair of bi-focals over another. Didn't have a magnifying glass. Sorry.

• Team Samurai

[user=17830]paparentman[/user] wrote:

I was laying on the floor, using a flashlight and wearing one pair of bi-focals over another. Didn't have a magnifying glass. Sorry.

Sounds like your about half bind like me. I've started carrying a magnifying glass in my tool bag for just such special occasions. :ooo:

Checked the ignitor and got continuity. Didn't find any current to ignitor.

This oven is turned on by a push button control panel.

Next please?

• Team Samurai

Didn't find any current to ignitor.

How did you measure the current draw? Did you check the voltage while you were down there?

Post the wiring diagram or fax to me at 775-416-4449.

I took the back of the stove off and disconnected the wires going to the ignitor. Then tried to start oven while holding a volt meter on the wires disconnected from the ignitor.

Don't have wiring diagram.

• Team Samurai

I tried it on AC and got no reading (current). I also tried it on DC and got no reading (current).

You're measuring voltage here, not current. To measure current, you'd use a clamp-on ampmeter. Here, read this article before we go any further talking about electrical tests and avoid lengthy miscommunications:

http://fixitnow.com/2004/12/appliance-repair-revelation-making.htm

• 1 month later...

Been awhile with this oven down, but one thing or another...

Anyway, measured current draw, got  a brief reading of .1 amp and then nothing when pushing button on control panel to bake.

Have continuity through ignitor.

Thanks

• Team Samurai

Argh!  This points us to the bimetal in the gas valve.  Use your meter to measure its continuity.  If it's open, it's bad.  See this page for more info; bimetal is at points C and D.

Archived