Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bosch WTA3500UC/04 Dryer chirp

dcs

Hi.

We have a Bosch WTA3500UC/04 dryer that chirps or squeaks, but only when the drum is going clockwise (when looking at it from the front).

We replaced the rear drum bearing set and that seemed to do the trick.  We've lived with the squeak so long that not hearing it was strange at first.  Then I thought... yeah... I could get real used to this.  But, with the next load, the chirp came back faintly, and with the next it got a little louder.

If you are wondering, there is a reason we tried the bearing set first, but I won't get into that here.

I have an idea already what to try next based on the (apparent) location, but don't know if the fact that it only happens in one direction should be point me elsewhere.  I'd appreciate input from you knowledgeable types.

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might possibly have a idler pulley assembly starting to go or the motor might be going bad.  Check your idler pulley (belt tensioner) first.

Ugh... That's what I was afraid you'd say.  I meant to check the pulley when we had the dryer apart for the bearing set.  But I didn't come across it and forgot (till we had it all back together again).  I wish I had taken the side off... it probably would have been within sight and easy reach.

I might not get to it till next weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

I checked the pulley and it seems to be rolling smoothly. So, I think that's ok.

I pulled the drum out and looked at what might be called something along the lines of felt front drum glide belt(?).  On my dryer, it's a full belt.  I pulled it off and the part along the top was more worn and compressed than the rest (as could be expected).  So, for now, I turned it about 180o to get some better padding up top where the weight of the drum will sit.  It sounds better rotating the drum by hand.  I'll know better after I've resolved some (ahem) electrical issues.

I got the dryer going again and so far have done 4-5 loads without the chirping.  Darn happy about that.  I hope it lasts a while.

• Team Samurai

Hey, nice work!  :cheers:

Did you end up replacing the entire control board, too?

Archived