Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool GU2300XTKQ0 dishwasher

jch

First, the history.

1 month ago, it was making terrible grinding noises.  Took it apart and found that one of the white plastic dogs on the macerator/chopper was broken off (probably from a jammed popcorn kernel).

Replaced the chopper assembly.

1 week ago, the machine stopped circulating water much.  Water would come out of the arms to barely make them move, but not enough to fill a cup placed on the top rack.

Took it apart again--found the new chopper assembly filled with gunk.  Cleaned it off.  Put it back together.  Worked great.

But only for a week.

Now it's got the same problems again.  Barely circulates water at all.

Question: Why would the chopper keep filling up with gunk?  And how do I fix it?

I've noticed the following two possibilities:

1) The sump check valve (rubber flapper) does not easily open/close.  It's as if the rubber has swelled so that it's slightly too big for its hole now.  I can force it closed with my finger, but then it probably stays closed even when it's supposed to open.  When I tried to remove it (with needle-nosed pliers), it wouldn't come out.  Too swollen.

2) The chopper blade is free-wheeling.  If I turn the black impeller by hand (by reaching through the little port with my finger) the chopper blade does not turn.  Does the chopper only engage at certain times?  Or is it supposed to be permanently engaged with the impeller?

I looked in the XDrive archive for a relevant article and found the Whirlpool_Point_Voyager_Dishwashers.pdf which says it's for models GU1200XT and GU1500XT, but it sure looks the same as my model.

In it, page 10 says:

Drain Function

1. During the Drain function, a separate drain pump motor is started while the main wash pump motor continues to operate for 1 minute. (1) This accomplishes three goals.

2. First, the jets on the underside of the lower spray arm continue to flush soils from the accumulator screen while the water is drained from the unit. (2)

3. Second, negative pressure in the main wash pump inlet chamber keeps the check valve closed, allowing the drain pump to remove soiled water from the accumulator. (3)

4. Third, the spray arms will rinse down the interior of the wash tub while the water is drained, leaving the inside free of soils. (4)

5. The main wash pump then stops creating positive pressure in the pump’s inlet chamber. This opens the check valve allowing the remaining water to be drained away. (5)

Which makes me think that the check valve may be preventing the accumulator from flushing.  Or it may be the chopper not rotating.  Or something else I haven't thought of...

Help!

What would you recommend?

.../j

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Two possibilities for why it's gunking up again: 1) diminished water velocity in the pump volute resulting in poor scour action, and 2) bad check valve.  The latter is easy and inexpensive to try.  If that doesn't work then you'll need to replace the complete motor-pump assembly

Samurai, you have lightning reflexes.  Only 12 minutes from question to answer.

I will replace the check valve and see whether that fixes it. 

** When I tried pulling it out with needle-nose pliers it wouldn't budge (the rubber seems swollen).

How do I get it out??

.../j

• Team Samurai

This kind can only come out with prayer and fasting, my son.  And persistence.  Just make sure you get all the pieces out by comparing with the picture of the new part.

I'm in Canada, so I can't use the online ordering...  So I purchased the sump check valve locally.  (The old part # was no longer available, but it was listed under a newer number.  Hmmmm..)

The old check valve ripped as I was taking it out.

It appeared to be quite a bit bigger than the new (replacement) one--possibly because the rubber had swelled from years of running on the Pots & Pans (heated) setting.  But I installed it anyway.  The new valve did not stick like the old one did.  But does it seal when it's shut?  We'll find out.

Cleaned out the chopper screen while I was at it.  Totally full of gunk, even though it was cleaned only a week ago.

Chopper is still free-wheeling.  Although its dogs *seem* to go over the end of the black impeller's shaft, they do not engage. 

Fired up the dishwasher with a cup in the upper rack.  No love.  Doesn't seem to have fixed it (when I cleaned the chopper a week ago, it fully restored the pumping action).

So now I'm wondering... is it possible that the replacement parts were for a newer (slightly differently dimensioned) sump assembly?

It's as if neither the chopper drive shaft, nor the rubber check valve, fit properly.

Possible???

.../j

Time to replace the complete pump and motor assembly, otherwise you are spinning your wheels on this. The part # you need is 8535150. Good luck.

Ouch.  I was hoping you wouldn't say that.  Up here, it's a $180 part...

This machine has a stainless steel tub.  Do I need to apply anything to the mating surface between the new pump and the tub when I install it?

.../j

• Team Samurai

You can use a schmear of rinse aid around the gasket perimeter to aid in getting it seated, if you need to.  Many times, I don't even need that. 

• Team Samurai

The gasket itself is the seal; the rinse is just an assist...

... to aid in getting it seated, if you need to. Many times, I don't even need that.

• Team Samurai

Pretty good. Some of these have a five year warranty (part only).  Check your user's manual.

Called Whirlpool Canada.  They said no dice.

Bought the whole assembly and installed it.  Works like a dream now...

Thank you to all.

.../j

Thanks!

To recap what the problem was...

The business end of the black impeller (the part that mates with the white dogs on the chopper) was completely ground off.

My guess is that this happened about a month ago when a terrible noise caused me to replace the chopper (a wayward unpopped popcorn kernel jammed in the chopper?).

Knowing what I know now, the damage had already been done.  Could have saved myself the cost of a new chopper ($10) and a new check valve ($20) if I had pinpointed the source of the problem earlier.

That said, the new assembly is working like a champ.  Time for a beverage. :gulp:

.../j

Archived