Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

best way to soak your balls?

grizzly

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for soaking their lid hinge balls before reinstalling them?

Maytag LAT9420AAE top load washer, part number 211726.

Repair Clinic has a hint saying to use HOT water at: http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=3317

Anyone tried WD-40 instead?

I soaked mine in hot water as per Repair Clinic's suggestion, but it didn't soften them up or shrink them very much. After I finally got them to pop back in the Maytag, I thought of the WD-40 idea. I'm thinking WD-40 would lube them up really good, plus the stuff dries out really quick, so I'd think that it wouldn't cause any problems with the lid accidentally popping off after the balls had dried for a day or so.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

"best way to soak your balls?"  Hot tub???  :P

No, saliva. But don't use your own.

Ok, so maybe the title was a little sujestive, but really, those little balls are frustrating to get in there when the lid is off. I like Whirlpool's lid hinges better with the brackets you can just unsrew.

It took me about 20 attempts to get a technique to get the balls to line up with the little indentions in the lib and cabinet top. Tomorrow I'll try WD-40 and see if it helps any.

If it doesn't, then I'll go with Pegi's idea and take a huttub with the washer. :)

I use a dab of permagum on both lid hinge balls, put one ball in the lid and the socket , then pivot the lid towards the other hole.

I use a dab of white lithium grease on each side of the ball. The grease keeps the ball in place while I hold the lid up and the shove it down vertically onto the balls. It makes installation of the lid pretty easy.

[user=19408]grizzly[/user] wrote:

I soaked mine in hot water as per Repair Clinic's suggestion, but it didn't soften them up or shrink them very much.

Hot water will soften them but I thought it was the cold that makes em shrink...

Archived