Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Duet Dryer Model #GEW9200LW0

dirt

We have a duet dryer that is about four years old, and up until recently the things has worked great.  Lately though the cycle has stopped before the load is dry.

Being a grasshopper we have done the following things to try and rectify this problem

1)   Removed the front and back panels and thoroughly cleaned everything – vent, lent housing, etc

2)   Ran a complete load with the vent pipe detached – still damp when the cycle ended

3)   Then based on some posting I previous read I replaced the thermister

Can anyone offer any assistance in getting this unit operating at peak performance again – it drives my wife nuts and I am sure it is affecting our electrical bill.:yikes:

Still learning

Thanks in advance

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Do a resistance check on that heating element (item 14).  I'm no so interested in the resistance through the coil but, instead, the resistance from either heating element terminal to the housing.  Check it with your meter on the highest resistance setting (usually Rx1K).  Should be infinite.  Anything less and you have a grounded heating element.

Apprentice Here……..

When you say resistance from either heating element to the housing – what do you mean by “the housing”.

Remember there are no dumb questions……..:shock:

Thanks

set your meter to Ohms / continuity (upside down U or horseshoe shaped) they usually beep on a digital meter or peg the needle on an analog.......anyway...Samurai meant remove one of the wires to the element and check for continuity should read good...if not replace element.....then put a lead on the element and touch the housing (what the elemnet slides into if it reads continuity thats bad thatsmeans it's touching inside.....lastly on the side of the housing toward the back you will see what looks to be a silver plate with a small round piece on it with 2 wires attatched remove one of these wires and check for continuity if it reads thats good if not replace...the parts you could need are Element part #3387747........safety t-stat kit including fuse part # 279769 (these are the 2 pieces that are on the side of the housing front and back and they come together in the kit)...this dryer isn't bad to work on at all, but it is BAD for building up lint....hope this helps...good  luck

• Team Samurai

Good info, Poobah.  Dirt, this page has more meter help.

• 2 weeks later...

OK here are the results of my testing – sorry for the delay however since my original post my wife and I welcomed our second child into our family.

Anyhow when I tested the heating element (Item 14) it read 10.2 (20 scale) on my meter – that appears to be good at least to this grasshopper.  When I tested to see if the element was ground my meter read infinity – so that is not the case.

So on I go to do what I believe Poobah suggested – Poobah stated there would be a little silver thing on the side of the housing.  Well there is actually two and I tested both just because I was there and didn’t know which one for sure.

The first one (Item 48) when tested read 0.3 (20 scale) on my meter – this is the one near the front.  The second one (Item 47) when tested also read 0.3 on my meter – this one is more towards the back.  So both of these seem to be fine at least to me.

Now that the second child is in the house there is even more of a need to get this working.  Everyone’s help is greatly appreciated.

:help:

With everything checking good so far....I'd check to make sure it hasn't been turned to air fluff cycle (only reason I said that was I had a guy drop off one thurs. last week for repair for not heating, as soon as we unloaded it I noticed the switch was turned fluff,  plugged it in heated like a champ.  this prob. isn't your problem but I had to share that) I would now check the breakers and make sure one wasn't hanging half in/out turn both of and back on........next go to the back of the dryer and check voltage where the cord hooks on.....should read  middle to left 120VAC  ......middle to right 120VAC.....outside to outside 240VAC ....if voltage not correct do same check at receptacle.......check back

• Team Samurai

[user=20478]dirt[/user] wrote: 

since my original post my wife and I welcomed our second child into our family.

Congratulations on the new reproductive unit!  :dude::clapping::dazzler:

Wow.....that was very inconsiderate ......CONGRATULATIONS...... I pray many blessing on your new addition and family

First let me saying thank you for your wonderful congratulations – our second son is a true blessing to our family.:)

Secondly - I have finally been able to break away from changing diapers and have focused my attention on troubleshooting this dryer problem.

Here are my results to the suggestions:

1) Not on Fluff Cycle – the dryer dries the same if we have it on an automatic cycle (Normal = Medium Heat, Heavy Duty = High Heat, or Manual and setting it to High Heat)

2) Went to the breaker box and turned the dryer breaker off and back on – no change

3) Tested the voltage and all is well

Obviously I am stumped (and sleep deprived), but after all that is why I join this message board.

Ideas???

Thanks again for your well thought congratulations and help with my dryer problems

• Team Samurai

Just for grins, let's measure the resistance from either of the heating element terminals to the heating element canister housing.  This should be infinite or open. 

Also, let's open up that blower housing and get some blood-shot eyeball action on that blower and the exhaust chute.  It's item 45 in front. 

And just to confirm, you have both 240vac and 120vac present at your dryer outlet as show below, correct?

4prong_dryer_outlet.jpg?dc=4675399380459225708

And here's the service manual for your dryer in case you need a little light reading material to help you sleep.  ;)

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay (if anyone cares) that I have not been posting anything regarding my problem, however two children under the age of two is a full time job not to mention my “real” full time job.  Anyhow based on energy costs this problem is front and center again………..

Here is the progress I have made:

1) Tested the resistance from one of the heating element terminals to the housing and the reading was infinite

2) Tested the voltage again and everything is as it should be based on the diagram

3) I did locate the blower and exhaust chute however I have no idea what you mean by a blood-shot eyeball look – what do you want me to verify

Thanks for your help and God Bless

• Team Samurai

Let me back up and ask a question about when the dryer stops. Does the control panel indicate that the cycle is completed? If so, then this may simply be a venting problem. Please describe your vent.

If you're not sure whether or not the dryer thinks it has completed the cycle, then we can't rule out the possibility of the motor overheating and stopping after running for a while.

The control panel does indicate that the cycle is complete.  This is the case regardless if the dryer was run on the automatic or manual cycle.

As far the vent goes – here is the best description I can give you without actually taking a picture.  The vent exists the dryer and connects to small (3-6”) piece of metal duct work which connects to the sleeve that comes through the wall – from there it is outside.  Additionally I have in the past ran a complete load with the dryer not vented at all – see previous post.

Thanks for your help

• Team Samurai

First, let me apologize for asking results of tests you'd already reported; that was sloppy on my part. Guess I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue. :sachmo:

Let's go right to moisture sensor. For this, I defer to this page from the service manual. Let us know whatcha find.

I performed the moisture sensor test and it passed the test – meaning a beep tone sounded and 03 appeared.

Considering that I already replaced the thermistor (see previous post) I assume I should check the ribbon connections from the control panel to the machine control board (step 6) but I have no idea what it means to do this.

Thanks for your help

• Team Samurai

[user=20478]dirt[/user] wrote:

.. check the ribbon connections from the control panel to the machine control board (step 6) but I have no idea what it means to do this.

This simply means to look at them closely for any burns, pinches, tears, etc. and make sure they're seated properly at each end. Remove and reseat several times to knock corrosion off the pins. Kill power to the dryer before starting any of this. After it's back together, try it again. If same, then, according to the service manual, that only leaves the machine control board as the problem.

Archived