Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Central A/C not real cold need advice

Austinblue

First, I have a 14yr old Ruud/Rheem model UAHE 019JAS outside unit, wih air handler inside.  I have had a numbrer of folks out to service this unit in the past.  Can someone tell me what size this unit is?

Second, can I just replace the outside unit and not the air handler? Or is it better to change them both?

third, do I have to replace the outside unit with the same size, or can I upsize it, without replacing the airhandler?

thanks,

Steve

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally speaking, the model number of the condensing unit will be some multiple of 12.  12000 BTU's equals 1 ton of mechanical cooling (or the amount of energy that it takes to physically melt 1 tone of ice in 1 hour). 

012 would be 1 ton of cooling, 018 would be 1.5 ton,  024 would be 2 tons of cooling, etc..  With your unit number being 019, that would be a nominal 1.5 ton unit.

Technically speaking, YES, you can just replace the outside unit.  The issues to consider are:

1. The 14 yoa unit has probably an 8 or 10 SERE rating - not very energy efficient by current standards and technologies.

2. As of January 2007 the Federal government has mandated higher SERE ratings and the phasing out of R22 refrigerant units.  Whereas the units are no longer being produced by manufacturers, the repair parts are and the R22 refrigerant is still available - but at an ever increasing cost.  The time will come when both will be phased out and present repair / cost issues.

3. Supply houses, prior to the January 2007 change, did stock up on R22 units at the 10 SERE rating; however, the supplies are quickly running out; thus, the costs are ever increasing - when they can be found.

4. The new units using the newer R410 refrigerants have higher SERE ratings, better efficiency, lower operating costs, and are generally eligble for rebates from the manufacturer, installer, and/or power company.

To answer the third question, you want to match the the outdoor and indoor units.  They are a SYSTEM and as such must work together properly.  Any alteration in size/ efficiency of either creates its own brand of problems which can include voiding of warranty in the event of component failure, not receiving the stated efficiencies that the unit is designed to provide, failure to condition the air properly and to the customer's satisfaction, etc..

You have to do a cost analysis that includes, how long am I staying in this house, what is my budget, what is my short and long term expectations of this equipment, what is the availability of parts, service, warranty, etc..

Personally, at 14 yoa, your equipment is close to or at the end of "normal" service life expectations for a residential unit.  Are there units out there older by 5, 10, 15 years?  You betcha.  There are also units out there with 14 years or less.  How has your equipment been maintained, how hard has it been used. 

In general, I would go with a whole system change out and reap the benefits of rebates, higher efficiencies, lower operating costs, and a reset on the warranty.

thanks for the info.

I am going to replace the system.  I had a tech come out, the freon was really low.  He found the evap coil leaking, and said its in a spot that would difficult if not impossible to repair. 

So, beiing that the unit is old........ I am going to get a 14 SEER unit. 

I was going to get a puron unit, but he seemed to think we might have to replace the copper if we did that, and so he recommended a 14 seer system that still uses R22. 

Thoughts or comments on why/if?.  I would rather have a puron system, but replacing the copper lines will be a pain as it is a pretyy long run...

He likes Bryant units, but said he has had good performance with the newer Goodman units.  He said he could get me a 14 seer, 1.5 ton Goodman system with electric strip heat, installled with a 10 year extended service warranty -parts and labor for about $2800. 

Does that sound fair?

Thanks again,

Steve

Puron is the Dupont chemical company's brand name for R410 refrigerant.  Your tech doesnt need to "think" about changing the line set (copper as you referred to it)...he NEEDS to change it out if you are changing form R22 to R410. 

R410 uses a different oil (POE) to lubricate the sytem that does not play well with the other oils typically used with R22 (Mineral or Alcobenzene).  One would have to thoroughly flush the lines set and insure it is free from the R22 and all the oil within the lines.  Can that be done??  You betcha...but it is a real pain and time consuming to do it right.  That means that most people dont do that properll.

On change outs of the entire system, the install guy has it fairly easy and can make good money relatively quickly.  When you start wanting to change line sets, redo duct, build transitions, that cuts into the time profit ratio.  So to go with an R22 system will net the tech more money quicker than doing a change to R410.

Bryant is a Carrier product ...a horse by a different color.  The name brand equipment is your personal choice.  Nowadays they all do well, its a matter of what warranty comes with the machine and what bells and whistles are or are not included (scroll compressor vs rotary, pressure safety switches, coil type, etc.).  I prefer Trane and Lennox for the quality, ease of working on, and the bells/wistles included.  Remember if your equipment is crappy, hard to work on, hard to get to, or overly fancy complicated, the techs to service the unit may not do a quality job.  If they dont like it, they are less likely to put their best into working on it.

As to the price, that is really market dependent.  In Atlanta one can firgure in the ball park of $1,000 to $1,500 per ton.  Certain sized units cost more simply because they are harder to get.  Your price is dependent on what you and the market will bear. 

Get several quotes and make the best choice based on your needs and budget.  You may want a split system, possibly a ductless mini split system that doesnt require ductwork.

Again, what is your budget, needs, expectations, etc..

dkpd now thats the kind of info that i wanted to read about when i suggested this here HVAC forum! Outstanding!

Archived