Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Frigidair refrigerator # glhs268zdb2 evap fan

OAR

this evap fan is a new one on me,, attached is what looks like electronic board encased in black plastic....fan was not working so ohmed out.. shows open but don't want to assume is bad becouse I have a suspicion that some type of temp limit switch may be installed on attached electronics..any body know if this is the case?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Team Samurai

Looking at your wiring diagram, it appears that fan power is supplied by the ADC board at J11. I would measure to see if you're getting voltage at J11. You may be looking for a DC voltage-- read the spec label on the fan is it will list the working voltage. Set your meter accordingly when you check for voltage at J11. If you're getting voltage, then the fan motor is bad, slam dunk. Otherwise, it's a bad ADC board.

I did'nt mean the adc board...the fan motor itself is odd "it" has a small board?..(not sure of this, it is totally encased in plastic)..permenatly attached to "it"..I did have power to the fan...have allready orderd replacement...but still have a sneaky suspesion that the motor with built in board has a built in temp limit switch that opens if not below a specified temp................I did'nt like the look of the frost pattern on the coils....the fan had not been running (obviously) but the coils were not froze up,, not even frosted properly....like low on refrigerant but not quite the same...but dismissed this becouse home owner had allready been playing in it....:yikes:

• Team Samurai

[user=8993]OAR[/user] wrote:

I did'nt mean the adc board...the fan motor itself is odd "it" has a small board?..(not sure of this, it is totally encased in plastic)..permenatly attached to "it"..

Hmm, they didn't show that on the schematic so I can't comment specifically on that. However, if you're getting voltage to the motor and the windings measure open, then it sounds like a bad motor, regardless of the b/i board.

The frost pattern you observed could indeed be an indication of more fun to come. If you have an infrared temp gun, you can get a temp on the coil, should be in the range of -20F.

I was told those fans are fed 120vac and the board converts it to dc to run the motor. You'll notice the service part is a straight a/c motor without the board. I also heard that modern Friggys won't produce a full frost pattern on the coil without the cover in place and a working fan. Some SxS Friggy's had the neutral for the evap fan run through the defrost bimetal so watch out.

• Team Samurai

Good info, AccApp. Domo! :dude:

Archived