Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Condensate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???

Tom4

I have (2) 2 ton a/c units and when it is very humid, the upstairs unit drips water from the supply sometimes.  Now water is dripping from the return in the same room.  The filter was dirty so I cleaned it, but it is still leaking from the return pretty bad.  The unit is only 3 years old.  Any ideas?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why didn't they install condensate pumps to take the condensate water  from the units and drain it into a sink or floor drain?

The water from the supply side could be caused by several things:

1. cracked drain pan

2. plugged up P-trap or condensate line

3. unit out of level due to settling or improper install

4. indoor fan on too high a speed and pulling water through to the supply

5. uninsulated plenum and duct work

6. unit partially or completely freezing up and ice falling outside of the drain pan

7. drain pan improperly plumbed

8. uninsulated section inside air handler sweating and passing water through

Water from the return may come from most of the afore mentioned as well (1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7). 

I thought of all that stuff too, but I didn't want to confuse him.

On a two story new house I found that they ran the drain down to the slab and out under the slab. I think maybe your drain pan is improperly piped, its only 3 years old and every time the humidity gets high, tells me that this is an ongoing problem from day one. you need to get in there and look at the pvc drain pipe and figure another way to drain the pan out the house. or either blow out the existing drain...heck lanscapers or lawn men may have plugged tat drain line long ago or partially plugged it.One of my buddys dug out around a drain line and cut it where it would go straight out. turns out they not only ran the drain under the slab, they turned down the end of the drain with a 45 degree elbow. it looked good but it was plugged like hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gentlemen.  The drain pan is about 3' x 4' under the unit in my attic.  it has about a 1/2" of water in it.  The level is constant because when it gets higher it flows out of a drain in the side of the condensate pan, then outside the house.  It has been quite humid this week and I havent had the problem.  It seems to be intermittent now. 

It sounds like your drain pain in the air handler is cracked....if it is metal, it is probably rusted out and the water is collecting in the bottom of the unit and finding its way into the supply, return, and your safety catch pan.

One real easy way to prove the theory is to plug the drain port of the condesate line.  The easiest way is to turn the P-trap up so that it does not allow the water to make it past.  Take about a gallon jug of water and slowly fill the pan to just below the top of the drain pan.  If there is a crack, the water will come dripping out of the bottom of the unit very quickly.

Then its just a simple matter of replacing the pan.  Some are easy to replace, some are quite the opposite.  You may find that a replacement of the air handler is cheaper than the repair.

it might be a good thing to add one of theses to the system,they have a float switch on them that shuts down the unit if the water gets too high. That could solve it ,if that is you dont have any leaks in the pan.

post-4554-129045096334_thumb.gif

I asked him why one of those condensate pumps  wasn't installed .  :)

There is a float switch on the external condensate pan beneath the unit.  That doesnt seem to be the problem.  The pan is watertight and seems to be draining fine.

Most recently I noticed a wet ceiling (wallboard) below the unit.  For the life of me I cannot tell where the water is coming from.  The floor under the condensate pan in the attic is bone dry.  The condensate drain (from the unit, not the pan) had condensation on the outside of it.  Perhaps it is running down the line? 

I'm getting frustrated.:(

I have a very similar situation.  My air handler is in the attic.  The unit was installed in 2/94.  The drain pan is metal and has a crack in it.  Can this be repaired?  (with epoxy or something?) If not, any advice on replacing just the pan or the entire unit?  If I wait until the "off season" to do any of the above, will I save any money?

[user=5897]Tom4[/user] wrote:

There is a float switch on the external condensate pan beneath the unit.  That doesnt seem to be the problem.  The pan is watertight and seems to be draining fine.

Most recently I noticed a wet ceiling (wallboard) below the unit.  For the life of me I cannot tell where the water is coming from.  The floor under the condensate pan in the attic is bone dry.  The condensate drain (from the unit, not the pan) had condensation on the outside of it.  Perhaps it is running down the line? 

I'm getting frustrated.:(

OK OK OK....

I found the problem.  The condensate is running out of the end of the unit and between the duct and insulation where the duct connects to the unit.  I know this should not be happening, could it be my unit is not level?

we have a sheetmetal company here that makes pans

what we do is get a whole new pan underneith the unit

The air handler has a secondary pan.  The water drips down into the secondary pan (since the main one has a crack) and then drains from there (that emergency overflow drain tube in the middle of my basement).  That secondary pan sits under the whole air handler.  I'd like to fix the crack in the main drain pan if I can.  Or replace it.  The unit is only 13 years old.  I'd hate to have to replace it completely.  If I wait til like Sept or Oct to do any of this work, will I save any money? 

Archived