Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

DCS Gas Range RGS366SSN - $435 for an Igniter???

rjtrejo

So the igniters click, click, click, even after the burner is lit.  A local repair guy wants $435 to repair this.  I would imagine this is something I can easily do with your advice and/or pointers on finding the parts.

Maybe when cooking anything I should just play Iron Butterfly really loud to drown out the clicking sound....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first i will mention i am not familiar with that brand name

but have seen your problem once before.....

is this a unit that was just installed or has any wiring near it been redone recently,unit remove for new counters  etc?

i ask cause the one time i saw one spark after ignition the problem turned out to be the 120 volt supply and neutral going to the unit were reversed,

everything would work fine but it messes up the reignition on some newer cooktops and they spark forever

Some answers needed to diagnose correctly.....

Do the gniters snap (spark) incessantly REGARDLESS of which burner is being used?

Does it happen ONLY when ONE PARTICULAR burner is used, or does it make no difference at all as to which burner you've selected?

Yes, I know they will ALL spark when you select any burner, but Im trying to narrow down the problem in a burner head or in the spark module

Has any electrical work been done before this?

A reversed polarity of the incoming wires can cause this

Were authorized DCS servicers, but the concept behind these re-ignition modules is the same to a lot of brands

Robert Sankie

Coastal Appliance, Heating & A/C

Serving San Diego North County

www.coastalappliances.com

Thanks for helping.

Selecting any burner causes all burners to spark.  Sparks continue even after burner lights.

Repair shop says it's the spark module but it seems an awfully pricey repair.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately you DO have a faulting spark module. $435 for a module does seem pretty high, but Im not intimately familiar with your circumstances (I assume the module is part of a total repair job, maybe you're out in the middle of the boonies, etc, etc)

IF you think you can swap a module yourself, we can ship you one. Contact us directly via our website and we can discuss particulars.

Robert Sankie

Coastal Appliance, Heating & A/C

Serving San Diego North County

www.coastalappliances.com

have you recently cleaned the unit? there are surface switches that if the get wet will cause the same complaint a constant spark means the the control circut is still active  not that the control is bad the board is doing just as it should  my guess is you got something wet , now you need to let it dry out don`t  panic!

Thanks, Jahjah.

Cleaning does not help, even with rubbing alcohol as DCS suggests.  There is no moisture so I assume the spark module is indeed faulty.

After two delays by the expensive local repair guy I ordered the part from DCS myself and now have it. 

Here's the problem.  The entire unit is sealed and I don't want to start removing screws randomly.  Can someone help me narrow down the location of the spark module and how to get at it?  Alternatively, does someone have the schematic/diagram of this or similar unit?  From looking at where things are my initial guess would be behind the left side panel. 

Thank you, wise ones!

• Team Samurai

Bob, here are a couple links to manuals on this range that'll hepya:

Installation Manual

Has some good photos for disassembling the cooktop.

Parts Manual

Has various breakdown diagrams to show you how things come apart.

Question for you Fisher+Paykel/DCS techs: Out of curiousity, does the flame detector work off the simmer flame or the main?  I recently fixed a Monogram with a similar problem, in that case two of the burners caused the constant re-ignition problem.  The source turned out to be clogged simmer orifices.  The owner tried to claim warranty on it but when shown the sticky and blackened parts under the burners suddenly recalled boiling a pot of sauce over badly. 

Also, at least from that drawing, either GE makes the DCS ones or vice versa.  The parts drawings and layout are really close.  Maybe they both use the same suppliers? Similar I expect, but the degree of similarity is suspicious.

Samurai,

Domo arigato!  It worked like a charm and I saved at least $100, even after the overnight shipping from DCS/Fisher & Paykel.

It's curious that the spark module would fail because it looks like a sturdy, solid state part, but I guess that's the breaks.  The ignitors themselves were fine.

It's also interesting that DCS doesn't make it easy to get at this.

Thanks again!

Archived