Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Repairability of built-in appliances

starpal

Hello,

We are planning the new kitchen and are considering counterdepth built in refrigerator and wall ovens for the first time.

Is access to repair these units in general any more difficult than free standing refrigerators and ranges?

I have learned enough to avoid the 'furrin' brands. Do the GE Monogram engineers/designers have the same educational requirements as the rest of the much heralded GE product line?

How do the Frigidaire kitchen appliances treat you?  We were looking at the matching pair of PLFU1778ES and PLRU1778ES 32"wide built in refrig and freezer - large capacity and not a lot of extraneous bells and whistles. 

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/refrigerators/all_refrigerator/Large_Upright/prod_PLRU1778E.asp

Also, the PLEB30T9FC is a fully featured double convection wall oven for a comparatively reasonable price -

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/cooking/built-in_ovens/double_electric/prod_PLEB30T9FC.asp

Any thoughts and advice is very much appreciated.

Paul

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, you are going to take the biggest fridge frigidaire makes and build it into a wall.....  they have legs, not wheels, and let me guess your going to do this on top of a nice new hard wood floor?

read your frigidaire manual carefully, it is customers resonsibility to make machine accessable

as a frigidaire warranty servicer i read that line to customers with those units built in then ask them to pull them out of the wall so i can get behind them, i will not pull those with no wheels across hardwood

you might think i sound a lil abrupt saying that, but i am still saving to put hardwood in my home, be damned if i pay to do it in someone elses first :P

as for the wall oven, numerous repairs require removal as well so same access rule applys, and after warranty plan on paying 2 men to service cause one cant remove that double oven unit

the frigidaire upright freezers are prone to plugged drains which causes them to leak onto the floor

the ovens have been good, but the electronic controls really dislike lightning and power surges

Thanks for the warnings -

We'll have a tile floor, but I'll try to make a provision to either slide the fridge out or have access to the rear from the room next door - same with the wall oven.

How do you recommend protecting against surges for kitchen appliances?

Thanks!

Paul

"have access to the rear from the room next door - same with the wall oven."

Man, I think I love these people!!  What a wonderful world this would be if EVERYONE would build houses to have access to every appliance out there, especially built in friges and ovens, from "the other room" behind the appliance!!   :P

It may not be as easily done as said, but there is going to be a mechanical room behind the refrig/freezer so if there is some empty space I'll put a panel there. 

How do you service a built in fridge or oven?

How about routine cleaning/maintenance?

How do you prevent surges? Anything other than a surge supressor at the outlet? 

Thanks

have the protector put on at the panel for the whole home, thats the only way to do an oven other than turning off breakers in a storm, and that isn't always foolproof cause it is possible you get a spike along the houses neutral or ground, although that does not happen often

you service a built in appliance by removing it, so you have to make sure that is possible, only routine would be cleaning the condensor of the fridge,that routine depends on if you have pets or not, pet hair means you clean it more often

Archived