Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Amana Dryer DLE330RAW Buzzing noise

maskay

I am having the same problem as this poster from August 25, 2006 That describes the noise perfectly. But there was no follow up by the poster. 

""after running for a few minutes, begins to exhibit an annoying buzzing sound.  This sound is akin to a solid state relay or small solenoid that is going out.  The sound stops occassionally, but always comes back.  It is accompanied by the hum of the motor changing pitch, as if losing power for short intervals."" end quote

On this dryer both back guide rollers did not spin freely so were replaced. With the service panel and the front off I could see the idler wheel vibrate more when the buzzing was happening. Idler wheel was stickey and must have been for quite some time as there was a 1/16th to 1/8th inch deep groove cut into it from the belt. Shaft was cleaned and pully replaced along with belt. All spin freely now. Front glides were wore, so replaced those also. Idler arm was a little sloppy so tightened that up some.

Thought I'd solved the problem so turned on dryer and started writing up bill when in 2 or 3 minutes the exact same noise started again.  Boy, does that make you feel smart  :beating:

Drum seems to turn fine by hand.

Nothing in blower wheel and turns freely.

I have been studying for quite some time, but have just started running calls within the last 3 or 4 weeks so everything is basically new to me.  Would a bad motor act this way? I was under the assumption that a bad motor would buzz but not start or run.  I am afraid if I put in a motor and the noise is still there, my customer is going to realize that I don't know what I am doing.:yikes:

Any ideas?

Mike

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check your blower wheel very closely, remove it and look on the back side of it in the center and check for a crack (only visible from the back side) I had 1 doing the same thing and that was the problem.

I had a wp dryer making a  noise that just about drove me to drink(more) and it turned out to be one of the bi-metal tstats making the noise when it closed....:headbang:

• Team Samurai

Remove the front panel, jumper out the door switch and secure the wires so they don't touch anything. Then run the dryer and try to locate the source of noise with your earballs.

Samurai, I had the door switch jumpered and tried for quite some time to locate the source of the noise. I'm not going to let a dryer beat me. Just seemed to be buzzing from the motor and a general vibration from everywhere. Plus, I only have one "earball" left. 

Good news though! I took the blower off today and low and behold there were two tiny cracks on the backside collar. Put in the new blower, fired it up, and ran quiet like brand new. She was happy not to have to buy a motor, and I was thrilled!

Thanks 29501! I appreciate it. Samurai's got a case comming thanks to you.

Peace

Archived