Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Gas Stove 790.71052404

Tim M

I was called in either to deal with a problem stove or an overly sensitive tennant, I don't know which. The guy was pretty sensitive, and complained of an odor from his stove top. He'd bought some electric burners to cook on and shut off the gas.

Has anyone ever experienced an odor like freshly lit charcoal coming from a gas stove? I got there and lit up a few burners, but it wasn't happening when I was there. He said that the odor was immediate and fairly strong, but it just wasn't happening. The landlord had bought a new stove for the appartment about a year ago, for the same, or some other smell related, problem.

I'm wondering if sometimes there could be something in the gas lines that brough in this odor. The stove was immaculately clean, so that's the only thing I could think of.

Since part of the reason I was there was to assuage the tennant, and I wanted my trip to be worth it for them, I told them I would check with all the bright folks in this forum and see if anyone had any ideas.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This does happen when there has been some sorts of chemicals having been used in the area and the fumes in the air, that mght not be able to be detected by the nose, come in contact with the flame...like someone used some murphy soap to clean with, some one was painting with oil based paint or redoing a wood floor....need to ask what has been used around the time this was happening...if this is the reason for the smell then only solution is to air out the area to remove the fumes....someone in an apartment next door could have used something if these are apartments...

• Team Samurai

If this is propane and the tank is low, the ethyl mercaptan gets concentrated at the bottom of the tank. They could be smelling the excess as it passes through the flame.

Also check for mice infestation in the range. Mice like to take food and store it inside the range where insulation is.

Archived