Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag Bearing questions

atcherservice

atcherservice

I have a few questions for clarification on the Maytag Atlantis transmission.

Why should the upper bearing be changed out and how?

Why the lower bearing?

Why change out the pully?

Is the triple lip seal the same as the main tub seal?

Maytag is my weakness, I am trying to do some research to strengthen my diag skills.

Thanks

Ken

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) when the upper bearing goes bad usually it will make a roaring sound when in the spin mode and the sound usually stays constant. (the transmission can also go bad causing a similar sound but as the spin speed increases the noise will subside).

This bearing is fairly complicated to change, you pretty much have to tear everything apart, I will try to give you a detailed breakdown when I have a little more time.

2) the lower bearing can go bad but it is far more rare

3) the pulley will sometimes go bad when the thrust bearing goes out, the pulley can be purchased in a kit containing the new style thrust bearing.

4) the triple lip seal is the the tub seal.

Hope this helps

atcherservice

Thanks for the reply. If the thrust bearing goes bad what type of signals should I be looking for? Sounds? ect?

Once a again, I know what tree I am barkin up when I diag the problem, I just want to get more detail info.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to the breakdown, if you get a chance.

Ken

[user=408]atcherservice[/user] wrote:

Thanks for the reply. If the thrust bearing goes bad what type of signals should I be looking for? Sounds? ect?

Once a again, I know what tree I am barkin up when I diag the problem, I just want to get more detail info.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to the breakdown, if you get a chance.

Ken

Normally when the thrust bearing goes bad the unit will not spin, but that is on the old style bearing that has the 7 or so washers. I have yet to see the new style bearing  fail.

oh, BTW....I change a lot more transmissions than bearings. Keep in mind that the trannys usually have a 5 year warranty and they come with new bearings and seals.

The bottom transmission bearing that you refered to earlier cannot be bought seperately, to get it you have to buy the whole tranny.

The milk stool is not on the Atlantis washer.  That is the Amana design platform (Searcy units).  You will see it in the field as a Maytag, but it is not an Atlantis machine.  Atlantis units will have the pump mounted to the base and the one belt that is accessed by just tilting the machine back.  Usually when you refer to a triple leak, excuse me, lip seal, or a milk stool unit, they are Amana or Searcy built unit.

Ugh,  you just brought back some horrible memories of the Amana design (Searcy built) washer. I practically rebuilt those when I work for Maytag Factory Service.  If I ever have to work on those again, I swear I am going to vommit.

Archived