Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Icemaker WD5FHEXNS00 motor control keeps breaking

lennyf

I have replaced several of these.  They seem to use the same mechanism in many models.  The number on the box is W10122536.  What causes these to break so often? Thanks, Lenny in Austin, TX

post-26510-12904509822_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a problem with the mold at the factory, (a crack in the mold itself, that weakened the finished part). The corrected part has blue print on the gear face. Red lettered gears still in the system should not be used.

Also check for proper fill. Small or hollow cubes will jam in the ejector/stripper and stress the module gearing.

Chat_n_RI

Thank You, Thank You! How did you find out this information?  The new one that I got to replace the broken one does have blue lettering.  I'll check this from now on.

Lenny in Austin, TX

Do not be surprised when the blue lettering ones break also....this plastic is just to weak and brittle....we have found the ones with the blue lettering break just as fast as the red ones....like was said be sure the cubes are not too large or small and the freezer is not too cold...;)

Wonderful :-( So what am I to do everytime I install one, 2-3 months later it breaks.  How do I adjust the cube size? I think I can adjust the freezer temp.  Does FSP and/or Whirlpool know about this and do they have any solution?

Lenny

Sure they know about this, not sure what we can do tho....the cube size adjustment is on the right side of the module head, the little white plastic nob, CW decreases the fill time and CCW increases the time....do not go more than one turn or the module will be ruined..

[user=26510]lennyf[/user] wrote:

Wonderful :-( So what am I to do everytime I install one, 2-3 months later it breaks.  How do I adjust the cube size? I think I can adjust the freezer temp.  Does FSP and/or Whirlpool know about this and do they have any solution?

Lenny

whirlpool would tell you the exact same thing, check your fill volume. Their part warranty is only 90 days now, but if you are breaking that many of them personally I would buy a whole new Icemaker and inlet valve and start over. (if you dont adjust the fill volume correctly, your gonna break it anyways like Pegi said).

[user=26510]lennyf[/user] wrote:

How did you find out this information?  The new one that I got to replace the broken one does have blue lettering.  I'll check this from now on.

This info came from a Whirlpool field engineer trying to explain what the problem with the module gears was and what they were doing to resolve it.

Personally, I haven't had nearly as many problems/recalls with the blue lettered gears as the previous red lettered batch.

Archived