Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Refrigerator Freezing issues

computerpulse

I have been doing a lot of Samsung refrigerators lately and am wondering how to look at or question certain freezing problems I have been seeing around the evaporator fans.  The evaporators all look good. Even icing on these with the exception more ice on the top of the evaporators close to the evaporator fan.  Heater appears to be functioning properly.  What seems to be happening is the fans are drawing up moister around them and freezing causing build up.  And of course once too much ice has built up then the fan stops working.  How do you address this issue?  I am not sure if it's the type of plastic they use and the water can't run off away from the fan or what. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with Samsung, but a refrigerator is a refrigerator. This symptom is most likely due to an air leak. Are you noticing and frozen water droplets on the evap. cover? Whirlpools fix for this symptom is to silicone between the cabinet and the liner all the war around both doors, increase the temp. value of the defrost thermostat to 65 or 70 degrees and put a duck bill on the end of the drfrost drain tube. It's a more common problem than you might think. I hope this helps.

Whats your thought here?  The drain line is not clogged on mine and is quite aways from the area affected.  What it appears to me is happening is that the fan is drawing up the moisture around it and freezing.  The only place there is too much ice is on top of the evaporator by the evaporator fan.

Does this unit have a trap on the drain tube? Pegi had an earlier post about placing the drain tube in a PVC cap to prevent the evap fan from drawing air in through the drain tube. Will look for that post.

That 1 inch pvc cap under the drain tube full of water is for the LG refrigerators, no clue if it would help a samsung unit or not....:?

you can do the same thing with a finger off of a rubber glove. Just make sure it's really snug over the drain tube and cut a slit in the end of it ;)

I am familiar with some of the problems with LG and have performed what Pegi suggested to these.  Now I am curious about the glove thing with a slit.  One thing I know is that samsung is notorious for freezing very big chunks of ice if it cannot drain properly.  In fact they have come up with a device to install in the drain hole to keep this from freezing and it's not a heater.

I believe that Samsung has come out with a variant evaporator cover.  Which changes the flow of air current through the system.

It's doing the same thing as having a cap on it.....your just blocking the warm air from entering through the defrost drain tube. Whirlpool has a part they call a "duck bill" which is essentially a small rubber thimble with a slit. Ican't remember the part #, I will try to find it.

Archived