Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Anyone have a tech manual for Kenmore M#79079213300 gas range

Rocket Appliance

Hello all! I'm looking for some tech stuff for this gas range.....customer said it wont light so I assume it is the igniter but customer also told me when it started to act up it made a "loud bang" from behind the oven???? then she checked the oven and there was a strong smell of gas as she opened the oven door?....I thought the gas would not come on until the igniter was hot enough to light? Do I have this right? I don't work on many gas appliances. I have my ticket to work on stuff up to 400,000 BTUs, but not ticketed to hook appliances up..ect...just want to be safe!:) and make sure I have the theory right...lol...

Customer also said the broil doesn't work either....

Thanks for your help once again.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gas valve won't open if the igniter isn't working.

The gas valve is in series with the ignitor.

All I could find so far is the info at sears

http://www3.sears.com/Paul/document_search.asp?bnd_id=0583&prd_typ_id=0124002&model_num=79079213300&doc_id=&model_desc=GAS%20RANGE

Thanks RegUS_PatOff....that helps! I don't know why the schematic is always missing for me...lol...just luck I guess...I didn't think of checking the U.S. sears site...lol...just figured cause its Canadian it wouldn't come up.....but it did! thanks for puting me on the right track!

I found some helpful hint from the Samurai, of course it was after I posted:?...lol.. enrolled student and I don't look at the basics:X BAD APPLIANCE REPAIRMAN!!! I think I will quietly donate to the beer fund for my stupidity..lol..cause I only really seem to learn the hard way:cool:......

Thanks again!

Always thankful.....Rocket

• Team Samurai

Possibilities are

- borderline-bad ignitor

- dirty burner tube

- bad gas valve

Check the current draw on the ignitor, that's the best way to assess it.

Make sure the ignition ports in the burner tube-- the ones closest to the ignitor-- are clear of gookus.

Check the burner flame when it cuts off. Should just stop quickly. If it sputters for a bit and has to think about it a while, that's usually a bad valve.

Also, a weak ignitor that has just went borderline can just barely open the valve enough to let gas thru but not enough gas to light the burner and the customer will give the compliant of smells gas and oven won't light.

Have also seen where an ignitor is borderline and will still light the burner but the flame burns high then almost goes out then back to high again and keeps modulating like this.

I believe the cause to be the ignitor is just borderline enough to open the valve good enough for ignition then the gas flowing over the bimetal in the valve cools the bimetal causing the valve to begin closing down, then as it closes down and the gas flow is less the bimetal can heat up enough to open the valve fully again, and the cycle continues.

I'm sure a new ignitor will solve your problem......

Thanks Willie,

That sounds like whats going on here....that makes sense about the bi-metal being cooled by the gas flowing over it.

It seems to me that a gas oven is fairly simple to diagnose its either the 

igniter is bad or the valve or like Samaria said just needs to be cleaned ( the ignition ports in the burner tube-- the ones closest to the igniter-- are clear of gookus.)

Thanks again, Rocket....

• Team Samurai

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

I believe the cause to be the ignitor is just borderline enough to open the valve good enough for ignition then the gas flowing over the bimetal in the valve cools the bimetal causing the valve to begin closing down, then as it closes down and the gas flow is less the bimetal can heat up enough to open the valve fully again, and the cycle continues.

This is an excellent theory, Sublime Master William, and evinces a clear-thinking and logical mind! I have seen the border-line ignitor problem many times but had never visualized the physical nature of the problem this way. Makes total sense, though. Domo!

Archived