Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

help wiring for KitchenAid wall oven

grizzly

I purchased a KitchenAid wall oven KEBK171SBL to replace a 19 year old GE wall oven.

The old wall oven plugged into a 240 volt receptacle whereas the new oven has no plug and needs to be hard wired. I removed the receptacle leaving only the house wiring in the cabinet which is a 10-2 G (one bare, one white, one black, NO red). (see attached pic of the scene under my oven)

The wires of the wall oven are black, white, red, and bare.

Question: how do I hook up the four wires from the appliance to the three wires in the house's cable?

I guess I'm confused by the fact that the old 240 v wall oven worked when the circuit it was on has no L2.

Here's the link to the model, there is a link to a PDF of the installation guide at the bottom of the page:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=Built-in+Ovens&cat=124∏=1325

post-19408-129045099873_thumb.jpg

post-19408-129045100148_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are you sure there is no L2 ?

check the voltages.

they could (shouldn't) have used L1, L2, and used the ground for neutral.

You are correct, the black and white are both hot.

I wired black to black, red (from appliance) to white (from house), and both grounds and white neutral from appliance together, and it heated up my pizza no problem. I guess this is how three wire appliances used to be wired, neatral and ground were together.

Now my only problem is that the manual says to use a 40 amp breaker, but the existing circuit is has 30 amp breaker with 10 G wire. I think I'll have to use bigger wire if I put in a 40 amp breaker?

I might not bother with it, my clamp on ammeter showed a max of 23.6 amps when both of the elements were energized, 15.4 amps when only one of the elements was heating, 8 amps when the cooling fan motor is running, and less than one amp when the oven is turned off (ie: only the LCD clock display is on). Note: this is not a convection oven, but it does have a cooling fan motor.

I'd suggest replacing the breaker and the wire to code as soon as possible for shock,  safety, ect..

You wouldn't want a fire, and determined to be caused by underated wiring.

Archived