Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag MAH5500BWQ #67794100ZF

maskay

Hi,  This will be my first motor control board replacement for the Neptune and I am confused already.

This unit quit mid cycle with extra heavy load. LR in display. Door would not open until he played around with the buttons. Took out wet, wet sheets then he got it to drain by selecting spin. Drained but didn't spin. 

I put it into service mode, then quick cycle. Water came in, then nothing. Did motor/motor control test 120V from machine control to motor control, but no movement from motor. Took off front to check fuse at motor control.  bad fuse and large burnt area on motor board.  Having no experience with this, I assumed It would just be replacing motor control board. Guess I should have checked motor windings...didn't.

Looked through posts and bulletins and now am thoroughly confused.

One bulletin at service matters says >  When earlier motors or motor control boards are ordered, you will receive a motor conversion kit comprised of a motor with harness, motor control with AC line filter and a jumper harness with an instruction sheet.<

Another says > washers starting with series 88 domestic and series 14 commercial. The new motor and motor control do not retrofit with the original motor or motor control.

I believe from the serial number that this is a series 67?  My supplier has 3 different part numbers for conversion kit on this model.

I haven't quoted yet, so I am still fine.  But....What do I order? Control board? Motor/motor control conversion kit? 

Also I want to have door lock mechanism with, just in case. I read that the 5500's have a solenoid, not a wax motor. repair clinic shows a wax motor for this model and my supplier doesn't show anything. Which is it?

Thanks for any help

Mike

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> When earlier motors or motor control boards are ordered, you will receive a motor conversion kit

Yes... Kit # 12002039

> The new motor and motor control do not retrofit with the original motor or motor control.

You can't mix old parts & new parts

New Control  # 22004046

New Motor # 22003856

Bulletin

> Also I want to have door lock mechanism

Part # 22003593 series 10

Part # 22004435 series b4

Thanks for the quick help RegUS,

I'll order the kit.  I hope the instuctions are easy to understand.

I'm still not getting the door lock thing. The service manual says that the 5500 was equiped with a solenoid instead of the wax motor. I have replaced some of the wax motors, Is it possible to replace just the solenoid, without the whole lock-latch assembly? 

And..If It would be better to get the whole assembly, how do I know if its a series 10, or series b4. 

Thanks

• Team Samurai

Piece of pie, tovarish! And the included instructions are excellent. You won't have any trouble.

[user=23475]maskay[/user] wrote:

...I'm still not getting the door lock thing. The service manual says that the 5500 was equiped with a solenoid instead of the wax motor...
which manual ?

Found at Service Matters with search for MAH5500BWQ.  What comes up is the service manual for MAH3000, with a supplement for the MAH5500 & MAH7500. It starts at around page 107. (page number on acrobat reader, there is no page number on the actual manual pages, just section 1-1, 2-1 etc. of the supplement)

• Team Samurai

Looking at the service manual, in the 5500 section, the wiring diagram calls out a wax motor. If you have the tech sheet, fax it to me at 866-315-4504.

I left the tech sheet with the machine. I don't remember looking for the lock mechanism. 

If you look at the basic control board philosophy section2-1 of the supplement it lists a lock solenoid, and an unlock solenoid.  And at the beggining of the supplement it says this

"The door lock mechanism was updated from a wax motor system to a solenoid, resulting in faster locking and unlocking"

[align=left]

[/align]

• Team Samurai

Ok, would definitely need to see the tech sheet since the manual doesn't cover the series 67 models. Basic principle still applies: make sure the solenoid is getting power, that you have continuity through the coil, and that the plunger moves freely (isn't stuck or seized).

Ok, 

I hope he leaves me alone with the machine for awhile so I can do a little exploring.

How can you tell the 67 series isn't covered? I didn't see that.

If I have trouble I will borrow the tech sheet and fax it to you.

Thanks for the help.

• Team Samurai

[user=23475]maskay[/user] wrote:

How can you tell the 67 series isn't covered? I didn't see that.

1. They call out the series that ARE covered (10 and another one, I forget which).

2. They don't include a wiring diagram with a door lock solenoid, only a wax motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up. It was a piece of pie. The instructions were good and its running fine.

By the way, This does have a door lock solenoid, not the wax motor, you can hear it clicking open/closed.

Thanks for all your help!

• 2 months later...

There is often confusion with Neptune on the 5500 models because they were released with a push button model with timer like the early models and then it was replaced with the LED console electronic model... both with 5500 model numbers.

Archived