Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Washer LDA7800W2

Tim M

At my daughter's school I had an initial look at this Whirlpool washer that had been sitting unused all summer and possibly longer in a very damp basement.

Water would enter the machine and nothing else would happen: no agitation, so spin, no drain. I could hear the hum of the motor but no action. Couldn't get things to turn at all. While I waited for the WD40 to act on the motor mounting bolts so I could loosen the belt, I pulled off the pump and it turned fine. Loosened the belt, got everything turning by hand, though the transmission felt a little sluggish.

Back together and the motor still hums with no action. Took the motor out, set it on the floor wired in and ran it. It hums without turning until I give the shaft a little twist by hand. Then it slowly ramps up to speed (unless I start it the wrong direction, then it puts along slowly.

Is this the start windings or some other wiring and how do I test it? The schematics may be blotted out with rust and mildew.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washer around 30 years old give or take a few years.....if the motor will not run wired direct to white and blue sounds like it is a bad motor, do not know what other testing could be done...some of those had black round start capacitors, if this has one a bad capacitor would cause what you are seeing, too old to bring up a parts diagram at sears....to know if this had one or not....call around your area to see if someone has a used motor saved somewhere, I had several of these motors saved at my shop for people who needed them, need to know if yours is one, two or three speed when calling around....

The motor does run. So I just need to know how to perform the test to see if the windings are bad, the start windings are bad, the capicitor is bad etc.

• Team Samurai

[user=28611]Tim M[/user] wrote:

The motor does run.

There's a difference between getting the motor to turn for test purposes and the motor being able to do actual work in the machine. Based on your initial description:

Took the motor out, set it on the floor wired in and ran it. It hums without turning until I give the shaft a little twist by hand. Then it slowly ramps up to speed (unless I start it the wrong direction, then it puts along slowly.

I'd say Pegi nailed it: bad motor. Come git you one:

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=2581

Archived