Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

frigidaire refrig m# FRS23KR4AW2

cuzzin sam

I posted a problem with this side by side recently, thought I had it done, and now it's popping it's head back upl

I'd found the damper stuck wide open, which had caused everything on the top shelf to freeze, which caused a hairling crack in the water filter can, which caused the moisture.

I went back the next day, repl the filter can and found the damper still operating but now - freezing again. Does anyone have, or know were I can get a diagram for this unit? When I go back, I'd like to be able to determine whether it's a mechanical prob with the damper itself or a controll prob. Thanks a lot. Cuz

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.frigidaire.com/support/manuals.asp

see if this works:

http://www.frigidaire.com/tip/cdcontent.asp?session_id=tip963User

Refrigeration:

Product Info and Tech Guides

5. Side By Side and Top Mount Refrigerators Jun 2001-Mar 2002 (5995374443) 

Service Manuals 

I don't know which one ...

1) = 37 MB

3) = 46 MB

4) = 13 MB

Ouch, the controll box is $250 - kinda pricey. Wonder what would happen if I made a slide damper out of plexiglass and put it over the supply duct for manual adjustment?  cheap ol Cuz

[user=32861]cuzzin sam[/user] wrote:

... I'd found the damper stuck wide open ...

Was it stuck open because of frost ? (another problem)

Looking at the Wiring Diagram, the ADC can only open the Damper, but the Fridge Control can open & close the Damper.

There are (2) Switches (in parrallel) on the Damper, that if it dosen't open all the way (or the Switches are bad), the connection may not be made so that the Fridge Control can then close it (or the Fridge Control is bad).

If you could do some voltage measurments from the Fridge Control Pink Wire (when the Damper should be closing)...

Thanks Reg, I'm going back later with a diagram in hand, but I think the damper was, and likely is again, stuck open with frost. I didn't take the assy all the way out last time, just loose enough to get my hand in there. I wiggled the damper while I turned the controlls to close it, and felt it "pop" loose. From then on it would open and shut as ordered, but alas, seems to be stuck again. Cuz

"pop" loose .. or moved it enough to close the Switch that connects to the Fridge Control that "took over" and closed it.

"stuck again"...  frost ? .. moisture ?  ... another problem ... or just a sticky Damper..

may have to do some voltage tests while in the "stuck" mode

[user=32861]cuzzin sam[/user] wrote:

Ouch, the controll box is $250 - kinda pricey.

Yes, they should call it the out-of-control box.

How much will it cost to go back to the job 6 times and still not know if you fixed it?

My saga of ignorance continues - I went back yesterday and tossed a thermometer inside, waited a few and checked it - 40 deg. Got my mirror and could see the damper was shut. Then, as I had the doors open the unit started up and the damper opened. Looking good except the milk and tea had ice in it.

Looking at the diagram, the refrig controll asks the ADC to ask for cooling, and since I'm now suspecting either wild temp swings or sparodic calling for too much cooling...should I suspect the refrig controll of lying to the ADC, or the ADC of gross mis-management?

I think only the Freezer Control tells the ADC when to turn on the Compressor.

(did you have both Doors open?)

The Fridge Control opens and closes the Damper.

the ADC can also open the Damper (but the Fridge Control should eventually close it)

I think it could be a "sticky" Damper,  or bad Fridge Control.

• 3 weeks later...

...and then I went back again...replaced the controll box AND another cracked water filter can - don't want to jinx myself by saying that its _epaired, but I will say they haven't called back. Seems like replacing the controll box is kinda like the shotgun aproach - hmmm, if the damper ain't workin I'll just replace it and everything remotely associated with it. But hey, its _orking right?  Thanks for the help, Cuz

Hello, my _orking friend.  As I lay here in my tent, with my four beautiful wives, each with leg hair so soft you might mistake them for a baby yak (as I have, on occasion), I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps the cracked water filter was caused by the faulty damper being stuck open, blowing air at a temperature of 0 of your infidel Fahrenheit degrees directly on it.  I would offer more but the blood seems to be leaving my brain...

Archived