Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

EcoTherm LP space heater model MV 120

Nitai

I have this space heater (quite a few of them actually) because I am off the grid. It seems that Bosch used to own this company but does not anymore and last time I had a problem after hours of agonizing phone conversations I ended up speaking with a woman in Canada who spoke only french:?. Anyway my problem now is that the knob seems to be stuck.

To ignite the pilot you must turn the knob slightly counter-clockwise and push it down. After it ignites  you must let it come up and turn it quickly clockwise, passing the "off" and turning about 180-degrees. My knob gets stuck at off and the pilot just putters out. Any suggestions?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The knob you are describing and the method of turning it on sounds exactly like a standard intermittent pilot gas valve.  That it does light when pressed down and on Pilot lets us know that the valve is good, that the ignitor is good, and that you have gas flow. 

What sounds to be the simple problem is the flame proving device - most likely a thermocouple or a thermopile is going bad. When you turn it to LIGHT passing OFF to ON may be an indication that the thermocouple is dirty, slow to register/prove the flame, or needing replacement.  If it is in fact a thermocouple, a replacement part can be obtained for just a few dollars at any Lowes, Home Depot, Hardware store, or even Walmart.  First try allowing the pilot flame to stay lit for about 45 seconds before turning the knob to ON.  An old or slow thermocouple may need a longer warm up time to generate enough millivolts to keep the gas valve coils open.

Another issue is that the aluminum gas tube feeding the gas to the orifice or Spud(s) - brass nut(s) that feeds the gas to the flame - is dirty.  Check for soot, dust, cobb webs, spider nest/egg sack, or even the possibly deceased spider :yikes: in the tubing/orifice. That will require you to root around in the heater's burner compartment, clean the area, and even GENTLY run something smaller than the hole(s) in the spud(s) into the orifice.

Lastly, make sure that your LP tank is full and providing enough pressure to the burners.

Best of Luck

1*

Archived