Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Water Heater With Radiant Loop/Heat Exchanger

etherhuffer

Any of you ever used a hot water tank with a heat exchanger for radiant heat? I see that several companies, AO Smith being one, that have extra ports, either for a heat exchanger or for direct flow(code being the issue). A gas water heater is not high technology, but durability would be nice to know. And ease of install. Free association thoughts allowed and encouraged.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not an HVAC expert, but the (gas) Lennox Complete Heat System that we had installed a few years ago 

could be used for Radiant Baseboard Heaters.

Right now it's used as home heating.

The (Direct Vent) Water Heater heats the water that is used by the Air Handler (in place of Furnace),

and is the same water that is used for domestic hot water.

I had thought of using it warm the basement floor with under-floor copper tubing.

Lennox Complete Heat System

yes & no, maybe...

We had a nearly 20yr old traditional Furnace and Water Heater in the middle of the small (20x25) basement of our Tri-Level

with the the chimney for exahust.

The Water Heater needed replacement and the Furnace didn't look very good.

We wanted to get a traditional Direct Vent Furnace and Water Heater and have them installed near a wall of the basement.

One company wanted nearly $5000 installed and said the Supply & Return Ducting would be a problem.

Then I found the CompleteHeat installed for $3200.

No problem with the Ducting, just installed the system about 10 feet from original, right under the existing supply and return ducts.

I don't know how much of that was installation cost, but yes, the units do seem a little expensive.

Now there's only one "flame" and it's a direct vent, no cold outside air has to "seep" into the house to replace the air that is lost up the chimney from the water heater and furnace.

Archived