Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 11 May 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers.
      As part of this workshop, we'll talk through a couple of case studies troubleshooting computer-controlled appliances. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, May 11 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Older Rheem...blowing inside, not running outside.

huckabjr

I should probably start by saying that I know nothing about air conditioning units.

Ok, about three days ago, I got up and turned the thermostat up to make the a/c click off, because I run it warmer when my husband is at work to save $$. When he's home, we run it cooler 'cause he likes it that way, and he makes the money. ;)

Anyway, when I cut the thermostat back down before he returned from work to cool the house off again, I noticed that the air coming out of the vents wasn't cool. I went outside to check the unit, and the large fan wasn't turning. I checked the breaker box, and it had thrown the breaker. I turned the thermostat off, and then tried to re-set the breaker, but it kept bouncing back to off. It wasn't clicking like it was tripping the breaker over again, it was resistant to being turned back to on.

Any ideas? The only work we've had done on this unit in the past 2 1/2 years is to have the Freon refilled this year and the unit cleaned so it would breathe better.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your breaker snaps back immediately when turned on, there is a shorted wire somewhere in the outside unit or the wires thereto

Turn the t-stat to OFF and the reset the breaker.  If it resets fine then turn the fan on only.  If nothing trips then turn on the AC.  If it trips immediately then you have a grounded compressor or fan motor at the worst and at the least some bad high volt wiring. If the unit struggles to come on outside and it takes 2 or 3 seconds before the breaker trips then check the capacitor for both the compressor and fan motor.

If its an instantaneous WHAM then you have the shorted/grounded devices or wiring.  Grab a 6-way screw driver and using either the 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch driver take the control panel door off of the outside unit and look around.

Thanks to all. Turns out it was a bad breaker. The excessive heat around here has been bad for appliances and breakers alike. It's all cool now, though. :D

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

or possibly a bad Breaker ...

Good Call !

Archived