Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Trane split system heat pump 4TWX6060A1000A

ydoeseverythinghappenatonce

After a recent rain and wind storm we stopped getting heat.  The air handler in the attic cycles on and off every couple of seconds when the thermostat is set to fan on.  When the thermostat calls for heat, the fan on the outside unit turns on, the compressor doesn't and then the fan shuts down.  I removed the panels and looked at the capacitor and it looks pristine.  The unit was installed 5/06 and had a "tune-up" within the last six months.  Where do you suggest I start looking?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds kinda like a power issue. I would check for 240 volts at the air handler and condenser . If power supply is 3 phase then maybe you are missing one phase of power.

Here's what happened when the HVAC technician visited... First I was scolded for not cleaning the internal filtration system more frequently then he went outside and hosed them off.  Next he discovered that the covering for the evaporation pan float switch had "fallen off" and therefore:  the filters were clogged causing the handler to suck air really hard, the cover was missing off of the float so the float was being sucked up and causing the safety switch to trip.  It was having the same effect as the drip pan being full to overflowing.   He thought the switch was a little touchy so he replaced it.  Next I was chastised for not having cleaned the filtration system AND not having biannual inspections.  He presented me with their "monthly payment plan for inspections" and told me how, because it was under extended warranty, he wasn't going to charge for any of what he did even though it wasn't covered under the warranty.  Of course, whomever came out before hadn't hooked it up correctly because that part never should have "fallen off."  He was a nice guy and I learned my lesson: Arizona has lots of dust, clean your filters.  Thanks for your website.  I learned a lot about HVAC.  Hopefully, I won't need to use it in the near future!:cool:

I know you paid a lot of money for that washable filter......But Get rid of it. They tend to restrict the airflow WAY to much even when they are clean. Switch to quality pleated filters (replaced every 3 to 4 months).

Just 2 cents for you.

• 2 months later...

I lived in FL and had my customers change the pleated white filters every month when paying a monthly bill. The amount of dust would choke it up.

Archived