Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Outdoor Split System #AC036X1021 & Air Handler #???

PTZ

Last Spring, I started my AC up for the first time in months.  It worked the first day.  However, it stopped working the following day.  The central fan works, the heater works, but the AC does not.  When turning the AC on at the thermostat, the fan blows air and the outdoor unit hums, but the blade on the unit does not turn.

Two years prior, when it was under warranty, I had the same issue.  The repair man came out, but only worked on the air handler.  I don't remember specifically what the problem was, but I do remember him replacing a board.  Coincidentally, he had a replacement part in his van - I don't think it was a new part.

Any suggestions? 

I'll have to wait for my dad to return from out of town to borrow his ladder to get into the attic and retrieve a model number off of the air handler.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may have blown fuse at the condenser, or even more likely you have a failed capacitor in the condenser. Capacitors going bad is VERY common.

Start by checking for power at the service disconect and we can go from there.

I'm not exactly sure how to check for power at the service disconnect so I uploaded a video of the condenser while I had the AC turned on. 

You can hear the condenser getting power, but the blades are not moving.

I haven't searched yet, but with power OFF, can the Blade be turned easily ?

With the power & AC ON, if you give the Blade a push (pen or pencil) will it continue ?

You have a bad condenser fan motor. Looks like a 1/4 horse power 240 volt motor just from looking at the 18 inch 3 wing blade with 27 degree pitch. Compressor sounds sweet. If the motor uses a separate smaller capacitor I would look for it to be swollen and replace it. If the fan motor is on the main capacitor, I am pretty shore you gots a shot fan motor. Follow the WHIP ( thats the power supply cable) up to a metal box and open that box, inside will be a quick disconnect or a breaker.

RegUS_PatOff -

I did as you asked and it worked.  The condenser's blade started blowing and the house cooled down so the motor must have been stuck.  Thanks for that.  I had a similar problem with my dishwasher recently.  Al I had to do was move the motor with a screwdriver to get it working again.  What cases a motor to stick?  Is there some sort of PM that needs to be done to the outside condenser?

- PTZ

Get you some Zoom-spout oil from ACE hardware. HVAC pros use this oil because it is non flammable,and does not dissipate under heat conditions. Use it to oil all your motors and they will last a long time.

That motor WILL stop again SOON. The damage has been done . Replace the motor as soon as possible. You can look for a new motor that is oilable, but most motors are sealed these days and have a 5 - 10 lifespan.

I went to a call one time with this same problem and the guy had a box fan on top of it and the sprinkler hose shooting water on the sides. It actually was working that way!!

That is how a cooling tower works. No reason why it shouldn't work for a condenser.

For you guys out there that may be considering water and a fan for a long term solution, just know that the water will scale up on the coil and most of the time it will rot the aluminum fins. But it is great is a short term way to have AC with no condenser fan.:pisser:

You might:gaptooth: be a redneck if you ever use a lawn sprinkler to cool yer house.

Archived