Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Weil-McLain gas boiler CGM-4 Series 7

stargirl277

stargirl277

We had a flood and before it got too high my brother told me to shut off my two boilers (one is a gas and one is an oil.) All I really knew how to do was shut off the ceiling switch to each (looks like a light switch.) Then after the water went away, I flipped the switches back on. I'm not really sure if I did the right thing :? and was wondering how to get the boilers working again?

On the oil boiler, there was a red restart button so I pushed that (have no idea if I did the right thing :shock:) It started making noises and seems to be doing something.

The gas boiler seems to need to have it's pilot light lit, but I wasn't sure how to do it. It says CGM-4 Series 7. Any words of wisdom?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should never attempt to use a gas appliance that has been submerged. If the gas valve or any electronics went under water, they will have to be replaced.

This is a job for a pro. Call a real boiler guy. Don't try to wing it. That is, Unless you don't like your house.

stargirl277

Uh oh. :? What about the gas water heaters? I already got them both lit and running.

What about my oil burning furnace/boiler? Can I get that one up myself?

I guess I've been lucky since that same gas boiler I was asking about has been under 3-4 floods over the past 11 years! I wasn't really saavy then and got others to help me figure it out, but was going to attempt it myself this time.

do you have flood insurance ...

depending on the cause of the flood, the check-up and repairs may be covered

Just so you know, The risk is that the gas valve or control that allows the "FLAMABLE" gas or oil may stick ON. That may result in FIRE, EXPLOSION, and or several other unpleasant things. The same rules apply to ALL devices that make flames. If it goes underwater , get it repaired before using.

stargirl277

I do have insurance and the cause of the flood was basically too much melted snow and rain at once and just about everyone's basement around here got flooded!:shock:

Thing is, with my insurance, I have a $1000 deductible and that might just about cover the repairs, and any extra cost might not be worth it to claim on my insurance since then my premium would go up a lot :(

I guess I have to get an estimate and go from there...

stargirl277

So does the gas valve sticking problem mean I should shut down and replace my water heaters even though I got them running a few days ago? One I got running about 4-5 days ago and the other one was 2 days ago..:?

stargirl277

Hi Bobice,

Thank you for the Instruction Manuals :)

They look really helpful, but I'm not sure if I should do anything based on what ACtech guy said about dangerous situation with the gas valves being under water? :?

What things should I do as the owner in general? (During normal times of no flood?)

Thanks!

Archived