Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

no heat from heat pump airhandler blowing cold air

tramilton

I had a problem that in A/C mode the pump (Goodman A24-10 serial # 9712433118). wouldn't come on hence no air. I found out the delay relay was bad changed it all good. Well we had a cold snap and the opposite problem occurred in heat mode. the air handler comes on but the pump outside doesn't. I changed the thermostat out to a digital one didn't help.

P.S the whole unit inside and out was washed for spring cleaning. IE leaves removed dirt vacuumed out etc.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you have a problem at the condensing unit outside. The first thing you should check for is voltage to the condenser. you may have a blown fuse , or a bad capacitor, or... well there is alot to go wrong with a heat pump condenser.

You will need a volt meter to do tests for voltage and other things.

OK. Well I have a DVOM among other stuff. I have a good mech background. I am a Master Light/medium duty ASE mechanic so I understand electronics. You talk me in the right direction and we should be able to arrive at a faulty something haha. Keep in mind the air conditioner works great now, when  I Switch back to air mode the compressor runs fine, cools great. Just wont run in heat mode.

Your problem lies in the condenser. You will need to take voltage readings on the low voltage thermostat wires in the condensing unit .

You will have to determine what wires are what by reading the wiring diagram.

You will test for 24 volts ac between the 24v common wire and other wires.

In cooling mode you will see 24 volts between :

C - R

C - Y

C - O

In heating mode YOu will see 24 volts between :

C - R

C - Y

If you get those voltages to the condenser circuit board and nothing happens..... then you may have a bad circuit board(if unit does not have a circuit board then post a photo of the unit and control section so I know what parts you do have)

IF the condenser runs in cool and not in heat , then the problem HAS to be in the condenser. look for loose connections or maybe somthing that looks burnt or damaged.

Archived