Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Where is he** is the air going?????

ckwemartin

ckwemartin

My wife asked me to look at our ac system today because the condenser unit was running pretty loudly. It's been running loud since the start of the cooling season, but the seems to turn fine and it's pushing cold refrigerant.

But while looking at it, I noticed that I could hear the air handler fan running, but couldn't find air coming out of any of the supply registers.

The air handler is in the attic so I went in there and the fan is running but only barely leaking out any of the vents in the house. Unless our house defies the laws of physics, something weird with the system is going on.

We have a 3-zone Carrier system (vintage 2004) with an automatic baffle in each of 3 main supply ducts. When I first looked at the control board lights, all 3 LED's that indicate that the baffles are open were all lit.

I looked at the part of the baffles that sit outside the vent and they each have what looks like a graduated "range" of where the baffle can be positioned...with kind of like ruler tick marks that span across an arc of maybe 40 degrees...and it looks like the baffle can be anywhere in that range.

All 3 baffles appeared to be pegged to the far right end of that range. I didn't want to mess them up so I didn't try to actuate them manually, but that's the only thing that made sense why the fan's running but can't feel return or supply air anywhere.

I turned both the air handler and condenser power off for a minute hoping the old reboot trick would work (maybe that only works in my mind). No luck. I did see at one point that the baffle LEDs changed to showing only one open, but with the fan running, you could still feel pretty much no air moving inside the house.

I should note that the refrigerant line in the attic was plenty cold (condenser & compressor working...at least a little). Also I could feel a few small air leaks at the air handler, which doesn't surprise me if all of the baffles are closed, that air is trying to go somewhere. I could even feel it coming out of the airbox leak hole pretty hard.

Can I safely actuate the baffles manually to at least confirm this suspicion? If I'm right, it seems that a control board issue is likely? Would there be any reason to suspect the loud condenser unit to be related to this at all?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realizing there isn't much chance after a month, but I'm curious about this. Are you still out there, ckwemartin?

(There is a bypass, btw, in a forced-air zone system, so if the dampers are all closed, your air is just going roundy-round, but I don't think that's your problem.)

Archived