Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Old DeepFreeze chest freezer DF180 - how to clean coils?

slantsixdan

DeepFreeze model DF180, serial E101642, just like this one. Now I've got a lead on where to get a replacement lid gasket, I need to figure out how/where to access the condenser coils to clean them, probably for the first time in four decades. There seems no access from the rear or the front...do I turn the entire unit on its front and get at them from beneath, or...?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the unit is running , are the sides of the freezer warm???

Good question -- never checked. I'll have to plug it back in and see. If so, then what? (and if not, then what?)

The condenser tubing runs in  the walls , to keep the unit from sweating............

Okeh, so what's the technique for cleaning out fifty years' worth of accumulated lint and cobwebs?

[user=1736]slantsixdan[/user] wrote:

... fifty years' worth of accumulated lint and cobwebs?...

there wouldn't be any if they are sealed in the walls

Does the unit operate/ get cold, down to zero degrees??  How long has the unit been unplugged???

The unit operates fine and gets cold enough to freeze contents rock-hard, and keep 'em that way over the long haul (no, I mean the _long_ haul; as in, when I excavated to the bottom of it a week ago, I hauled out and discarded food grandma put in it in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s). It's been unplugged for a week.

Replace the door gasket,  clean out the compressor area of bugs and other debris.......Do not put anything against the sides of the freezer......and you should be good to go for a some more years............

Archived