Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

BIG vibration in outside condensing unit

Ms. fixit

will go out and grab model number if necessary.  approx. 12 month ago I put on a new motor on the outside condensor.  Getting the fan off made a somewhat simple job almost impossible! After I put the fan on the new motor, I noticed that it just wasn't running as "smooth" as I thougt. Nothing anyone else would probably notice, but I can tell by the sound when the dishwasher arm is hung up on something and not turning. 

So, to make a long story longer, I was afraid I had unbalanced the fan when removing it.  RIght now it vibrates the unit.  I moved one of the blades that looked a little off by eye and it seems to be doing a little better.  I also noticed the whole unit has sunk a little because the footing has sunk.  Is there such a thing as a person who checks pitch and balances a fan?  Could my uneven unit be contributing to this?

It's gonna be 100 today and I wanna make sure I still have ac!

Thanks!

Kimberly

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually just kill the power and bend the blade(s) by sight. Bend rotate by hand ,repeat till they look the same. I don't think the sinking would matter, your unit is on a concrete slab right?

Yes, it is on  concrete.  I had already made a go of straightening it by eye and it sounded MUCH better.....just didn't want to make things worse if there was something else I was missing.

Thanks so much!

Kimberly

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I change the blade with the motor.

"Quality work does not cost, it pays."

While it is possible to Eyeball straighten a fan blade, often it only somewhat improves the vibration.

If you mangled the blade in the removal attempt, it is toast:burning:.

Just buy a new fan blade . It may cost a whole 30 bucks at most for a standard blade.:P

Archived