Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

frigidair m#FRS26ZRFD3

cuzzin sam

Hi folks, I know you've been enjoying your break from not having to read my idiotic questions but...the complaint - clunky, frozen together hunks of ice cubes. I just watched this thing harvest, then the fingers went around for a second trip and when I stuck my fingers in the mold to see if there was any water in there, I got my finger burned on the hot mold full of now warm water.

So, could the thermostat be bad and not opening causing the cycle to start harversting a second time cuz it thinks the mold is still 5 degrees even though it's full of water? Would this cause the mold heater to stay on long enough to make me whine when I burned my finger on it? And lastly, assuming it's the thermostat's fault, can I just change that and not the whole icemaker?

Many thanks, Sam

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You burned your finger from "inside the mold"? That heaters getting way to hot. Yes you should be able to change the thermostat. Did the heater eventually turn off?

Yep, burned my sissy finger on the inside of the mold - and the water was pretty warm too, but I think it did turn off after the second trip around, so...new icemaker time?

so when are the cubes clumping? in the bin or the ice maker?

[user=27301]appl.tech.29501[/user] wrote:

nope, I just checked...you cant buy that thermostat seperately :(

Ice Maker Link

found it.. item # 13 on PDF page 18

Frigidaire FRS26ZRFD3 Parts List & Wiring Diagram

3206322 Thermostat Assy,ice maker

$ 57 :spaz:  is this a GE ?

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-3206322-%3d%3di510387&PartID=510387

I think what is happening is that it's filling twice, since the fingers are making two complete rounds (actually only saw it harvest once) but the cubes are actually one huge cube stuck together and some icicles hanging off the bottom of the icemaker.

I'm just assuming the thermostat isn't sensing that the ice has been replaced with room temp water and triggering another harvest, and looking at the price of the therm kit, it's seems kinda silly not to spend a few extra bucks for the complete icemaker.

Thanks a lot for the help, CuzzinSam

you need to verify that what your thinking is happening is actually happening. If the ice maker is filling twice its bad. Sometimes it will cycle twice but only fill once.

The valve could also be bad allowing water to drip in during the freezing process. When it's time to harvest all the water in the mold isn't frozen..just the bottom part in the mold so when it dumps what is frozen the remaining water/ice slush remains thus over filling the mold when the water comes in.

Eventually this could cause a super frozen ice chunk in the mold that causes the thermostat to stay closed longer in turn keeping the heater on longer.

Try this..cycle the ice maker and if it only fills once just shut the water supply off. when you hear it dump again turn the water supply back on and watch it fill...repeat.

If problem doesnt re appear then it was the water valve

hmm, i actually "assumed" the water valve was the problem when i first looked at it and changed it...i know, i know, but i did it anyway, and now after scouring the archives here i read one about a dirty filter restricting the water pressure and not filling the entire mold, which could explain the cycling twice if no water was in the cavity above the thermostat - but wait, not enough water wouldn't cause the big glob of cubes stuck together coming out of the icemaker.

i suppose i just need to follow your advice and watch closely while it harvests a few times. thanks for your help as allways, cuz

Oh... well if you have already recently put a new valve on it then it probably is the ice maker. I'd watch it just to make sure.

Archived