Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 26 October 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in the conversation for all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This event is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      Also, follow the Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, October 26 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Do you do vent cleaning?

Tuco

I was looking for an affordable vent cleaning system for an apartment complex I do side jobs for. I just tried the “Linteater” and found it to be marginal with a lot of 90 degree bends.

Do you do vent cleanings? If so how do you clean complex multi bend vents? Or is it a time waster for appliance techs?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or is it a time waster for appliance techs?

Yup, not to mention the pickle you get yourself in when you cause damage to the vent or nearby parts of the residence "that wasn't like that before"

... when you cause damage to the vent ..

or damage to the "hidden" lengths of "foil" Vent.

OR, "My house burned down after you "cleaned" my Vent."

I do residential vents....love doing it. It usually results in a total vent system replacement. From my experience 95% of residential vent systems are either constructed or ran incorrectly or coulld be made more efficient. Ya need to know ur junk though. As far as apartment complexes with multi vents I would steer clear unless you know exactly what materials the systems are constructed of and how they are constructed and how they are layed out.

I personally would only agree to clean the entire complex for example 8 apts. To a complex . I would also do a camera inspection of the systems internally. Of couse you need to have a lot of general liability. For me to do this i'd probably charge $4000 per 8 apts plus any parts. Also, I would have a signed agreement witht the owner stating that he will provide personel and meterials needed to perform any structural repairs (sheet rock, etc) that may have to be opened to perform the cleaning.

Price seem steep? You betcha....quality work cost ya

Got a request to look at an appartment dryer..." takes 2 times to dry"....well the dryer is fine(WP Thin Twin). The vents dump out 3 stories high at the roof line. Can see lint in the outlet from the ground. I'm guessing at lest 25 feet run and 2 90* turns.

I think if I'm going to do this I need a real vent cleaning machine with compressed air. I turned the job down...again. "Linteater" is too light for the job.Just tried it on my house(at ground level) and found it lack luster on multiable bends.

Nope, I do not do vent cleaning unless I can replace the vent from the dryer to the outside of the house without going into attics or having to kill myself to get behind the dryer. I refer all the big jobs to the Dryer Vent Wizard.

<<<Price seem steep?>>>

No.

In a single family home---duct cleaning companies charge $1200 for "the works" (all ducts cleaned & sanitized).

Now that's steep when you can have the entire system replaced ( in most ) houses that exhausts through the foundation for for $500 or less.....through the roof might cost a little more.

<<<Price seem steep?>>>

No.

In a single family home---duct cleaning companies charge $1200 for "the works" (all ducts cleaned & sanitized).

I'm cleaning them. Charge $89 for the basic cleaning, also include as a bonus cleaning the refrigerator condenser coil. Figure I've got the brushes and vacuum in the house, might as well sweeten the deal. Found a lot of interesting stuff out there! Foil or flex transitions and elbows, vents dumping in the attic. I love the ones that terminate thru a side wall right by the a/c condenser. I see that and quote them a coil cleaning. I try to promote the service as an energy saving service, rather than fire prevention. Hate scare tactics.

Total time on site is about 45 min, seems to please the customers. My real aim is to promote some more service, weither appliance or a/c. Figure if I wow them with something like the dryer vent, they will call me for a repair later on. :thumbsup:

...............AmTec :dude:

Archived