Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Lanny Day

Dacor PGM365 Igniter problem

Lanny Day

I have a Dacor PGM365 gas cooktop where the front two burners light fine, but, when you cover them with a pan, the igniters turn back on.  The igniters stop clicking if you uncover the burner.  

I suspect it might be a grounding issue, but not sure how to track down because the problem only occurs when the burner is on and covered with a pan.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

northeastappliance

Just out of curiosity, have you tried different types of pans(made of different material). 

allheights

weight of pan? all burners?? ive seen those micro switches go bad..

stewartservice

Check the igniter height and if it is secure / locked in place. Check burner for blocked holes etc.. 

Lanny Day

Thank you for your responses.  

I have tried a variety of pans, both materials and weights.  The behavior does not change.  I did disassemble/reassemble the burners and everything seemed tight.  There was some sort of gasket material under the burners that had dried and cracked.  I will replace that.

mehoss

Any update on this?  I have the exact same issue.  The burners that start igniting when a pan is added both are dual with the 'simmer feature'.  I note that the igniter appears to sense the simmer (middle small) flame only, when the simmer flame goes away - it starts re-ignition.  The middle flame comes and goes at various positions of the dual valve.  I'm thinking that this is the root of the problem.  I have seriously cleaned all the little holes everywhere and I DO see flames at various positions of the valve appear nicely around the simmer burner and thus no re-ignition.  So I'm thinking that the valves are not keeping the simmer open all the time during large flame settings.  May I assume that the small simmer flame should always be lit during operation?  If so that would seem to reinforce my defective valve suspicion.   

Anyone have experience fighting this issue successfully?  

Hiroshi

Does the lit flame of the burner encompass the ignitor electrode tip when the pan is in place?... The pan will spread the flame and change it's position possibly triggering the re-ignitor, in these systems the lit flame and the metal parts it touches become part of the circuit, so look closely at where the flame contacts and how that changes when setting the pan on it. Boil-overs can also cause corrosion and poor grounding quality- so metal brush the individual burner sections until they gleam...

BrewHobbyTech
6 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

Does the lit flame of the burner encompass the ignitor electrode tip when the pan is in place?

What Hiroshi explained in his post is exactly the first thing I would look for. Sounds like a broken circuit in which the flame and electrode completes the circuit, much like how many modern furnaces work with spark igntions. If they're not sensing the flame they will begin sparking again. Sand paper or wire brush all the electrodes and make sure they all have a good ground. You may have to replace the electrodes(one or more, or all of them), but try cleaning them first. See if that solves the problem. 

mehoss

The answer is no, the flame when absent from the circuit starts re-ignition.  The issue is for sure the flame absent from the circuit.  So it appears electrically A-OK.  Also the original complaint was re-ignition when a pan is put on the grate, but after my 'repair' it now happens even without a pan.  :(  I cleaned and poked a gazillion holes, to no avail.

The issue is only on the dual burners that have a simmer feature in the middle.  There are positions where the simmer burner flames are perfect and strike the igniter, but not all positions of the valve.  It seems to me that the position of the igniter means that the mfg meant for the small simmer flame to be there at every valve position.  Yesterday I looked at an unrelated (GE I think) unit that also had a burner with the simmer feature.  I noticed on that one that the simmer portion of the burner stayed lit throughout the entire valve movement.  I ordered a new valve and burner- I'll get to the bottom of this yet.  Way past the point of profit on this job, now I'm paying tuition.

Edited by mehoss

vee8power

I've seen burners on re-ignition cooktops that have a second row of holes just beneath the main holes. Whenever the gas is on, at whatever the setting, they form like a halo of flame around the burner-like a pilot flame to satisfy the igniter. They're tiny holes and easily plugged.

Hiroshi

Comet cleaner should have a secondary name: Burner Spackle Orifice Clogger