Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Samsung Refrigerator Water Dispensing Slowly

MontezumaAztec

MontezumaAztec

Hey All,

I've been having issues with water dispensing from the refrigerator very slowly and have pinpointed the problem to the filter housing.
I believe it is the housing because the water is normal speed when I remove the filter, and when I replace the filter it starts out normal, but gradually slows down again by the end of the day/ within a couple hours.
I've also replaced many filters and experience the same issue with each one. 

Now I just wanted to make sure I'm purchasing the right replacement part.

I have seen two types of filter housings available.
One just replaces the part where the filter connects to and includes the necessary tubing. http://www.samsungparts.com/Products...RFG297AARS/XAA
The other one replaces the whole housing unit: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/sa...ap5332060.html

Is it necessary that I replace the whole housing unit just to be safe, or will just the connector piece be sufficient for my problem?
Also, if anyone else has done this type of repair and could offer any crucial advice or has any resources that would help, it would be much appreciated!! Thanks

make sure to put your model number in your topic title,  not just in the tags..its easy for people to overlook the tag.. 

So let me ask you.... looking at your model number and looking at the model number  shown in  your first  link,  which part do you think you  need? 

Edited by DurhamAppliance

MontezumaAztec
18 hours ago, DurhamAppliance said:

make sure to put your model number in your topic title,  not just in the tags..its easy for people to overlook the tag.. 

So let me ask you.... looking at your model number and looking at the model number  shown in  your first  link,  which part do you think you  need? 

Hi DurhamAppliance,

Thanks for the reply and for clearing up my mistake.
Indeed RFG297AARS is a different model, I originally was thinking the XXXX just signified a different color but it's only the last two letters that signify color of my model (e.g. RFG297HDXX). So that clears up which filter housing to buy (unfortunately the much more expensive one). 

Now I just need to figure out the best way to install it.

Thanks for the info.

If I understand your questions, your referring to the AARS part on the first link while mine is a HDRS. The RFG297 XXXX are all the same, where the XXXX just represents different colors of the same model. I have the HDRS model, which is stainless steel. AARS is black or white (

just a few thoughts that come to mind regarding this repair and there are a few different setups   but I will go over the setup that's  more involved since the others are pretty intuitive. 

1) There are tabs on the side of the tray support that allow you to remove the tray sitting on top... press them in and slide the tray off

2)  Remove the fitting on the original assembly that attaches to the line that goes to the house spigot.  It's an odd looking 1/4 inch compression fitting that has a part that slides into the end of 1/4 inch line on your new assembly... but only attach it after you remove the old assembly and thread  the lines of the new assembly through the fridge body. 

3) Sometimes there is a change of lines with one of the other two lines  from 1/4 to 5/16...if so,  there is an adapter in your package that is very very easy to overlook. 

4) I cheat,   I use 2 john guess compression fittings to connect to the water lines that enter the top rear of the fridge that sends water to the icemaker and dispenser .  Supposedly, one line just pulls out and the other is attached to a built-in compression fitting.... ive been terified of not making a good connection or damaging the buit-in fitting (tube slides a really really long way through the fitting and afraid of damaging the inner workings of that fitting)  if following the manufacturer's procedure.... I simply cut both lines near the top then reattach with John guess fittings.   These lines are not under constant pressure so the use of John guess  fittings is fine here. 

So to summarize: there are several diffrent styles  so examined your lines first... there are differences depending on whether your assembly also houses the water valve. That is the style I have been describing . So examine your lines, cut the appropriate lines,  detach fitting as advised in step one,  go to original assembly,  press in release tabs that hold the tray... slide original assembly out....install new assembly, threading lines through fridge,  connect top two  lines using john guess,  attach 1/4 inch copper fitting to end of the water input line for the assembly then connect it to house line... turn on water... check for leaks....

If all is well, strut your stuff, do the funky chicken,  howl like the conquering bad ass wolf you just proved to be... 

grab a brewski,  moonwalk back to your easy chair and majestically  survey your domain. Anything else? 

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 1